BMW Werkz banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have had our first BMW for about a 1 1/2 years. It is a 2002 X5 4.6is that we bought with 71000 miles on it.

It recently developed a whinning noise. We have taken it to two dealers here in Phoenix and 1 Independent BMW guy and we have 3 diagnosis. Power Steering pump and Pulley, Power Steering pulley, and finally need a new transmission. Oh one other thing it has also started shifting roughly.

Does any one have any experience replacing a transmission in a X5? The dealer says they are only available as 'Rebuilt", id that right?

Thanks
John

· Help from over the pond
3,230 Posts
With only 71,000 on the box it seems a bit premature for it to go, the jerky change may just be down to either it needs a fluid and filter change or the VCB ( valve control body) needs a service. The whining noise could be a tensioner, waterpump or alternator.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually it has 87000 on it now, but I still think it is early as well. The shifting jerkyness has been getting worse over that last week or so. The first signs was the whining noise and this has become slightly worse, the last diagnosis was from the Dealer and he said the whining is 'probably' transmission related. We have already replaced the power steering pump pulley as the bearings where shot...no change in the whine.

The latest development was on the way to work yesterday the shifting was the worse it has been and then this.... TRANS. FAILSAFE PROG .came over the cluster. The transmission really seemed to slip and the X5 did not accelerate much at all. Luckily I was at a parking lot, so I pulled in and the X sat there. We are going back today to try to bring it home. From what I read in the manual, after receiving that warning/message it is still driveable but will have 'limited performance.

Thanks.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just a quote from my independent BMW guy for $3000...Much better than the dealer's $8868..which was never gonna happen anyway. $3000 to rebuild my tranmission. I going to check 2 more independent BMW guys.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.