BMW Werkz banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 1999 528i and is in good condition...Just had to remove intake mainfold to replace upper heater pipe changed oil and spark plugs now i have an erratic idling problem when i stop at lights or after going above 50mph...Also when i initially step onthe gas i hear and feel a slip like maybe an air pocket in the gas pedal....what oh what could this be...i'm stumped please help!!!:help:help

·
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin
9,355 Posts
:welcome

It sounds to me like you have a vacuum leak somewhere. This is exactly what happens when you have a vacuum leak. First thing is to check all the hoses, especially the ones going to the ICV...second...did you replace the intake manifold gaskets? at 170k miles that's pretty much a must.

·
Help from over the pond
3,239 Posts
Welcome, as said check for vacuum leaks is the first port of call...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Got Kraut

Checked for leaks still takes time to shift back into first at stops>>>>>>OMG this is really stumping me...could it be the transmission

·
42, The meaning of life
2,405 Posts
Welcome to the Werkz. Good luck with this issue. Are you sure you routed the vacuum lines to the correct connections?

·
Ich bin der Modifikator
3,323 Posts
Welcome to Bimmerwerkz...... :) +1 vacuum, check that throttle body to air intake boot also, mine did crack when I removed my manifold in the M50 swap.

jb :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Vacuum leak.
You should check all of the hose connections you removed to make sure they are tight.
Your service engine light may also come on, to indicate you have a lean cylinder mixture, as air may be bypassng your mass air flow meter
If you have a leak at your manifold joint and you can't hear it or find it easily, you can take a can of starter fluid and spray where you think the leak is, you should hear a noticeable change in the idle speed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts