BMW Werkz banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today my window would roll down....

its stuck in the up position.... When I press the switch I hear a click... but the window doesn't move.....

HELP PLEASe

·
Registered
497 Posts
sounds like a window motor/regulator problem. Most likely the motor has seized. have you been hearing any noises from the door area while operating the window recently? If all of the other windows are working, then I'd say you have a bad window motor. And NO, these are not easy to replace on E36's (to the unexperienced). I'd do a regulator and motor together while you're there.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
how much can I expect to pay for the motor and regulator to be replaced?

·
Registered
497 Posts
yikes, I had a feeling you were going to ask that. I don't remember cost on parts but the labor shouldn't be any more than 2.0hr. If I had to guess I would say $300 tops (~$180 labor + ~$120 parts)????? I know that the labor shouldn't be more than 2 hrs.

·
ex owner/admin
10,839 Posts
ya this is a job for a mechanic to do.. i had a hell of a time trying to replace the drivers side motor on a customers e36 (at my mechanics) you have to drill out the damn rivots (where i was stuck)

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
im buying the motor myself and having a shop install it... the guy told me one hour....

how do i know if the motor is bad or also the regulator????

I was planing on getting a sound system installed in my car this weekend and im only getting the motor next week so will the window being stuck in the up posistion effect the installation of the speakers on that door????

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
no it wont. the window should never be in range of the speaker.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by BlackTape@Aug 8 2003, 11:09 PM

how do i know if just the motor is bad or also the regulator????

:banghead

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
what audio stuff are you getting? Look on the bright side, at least the window isnt stuck down.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How do i know if its the motor thats bad or the regulator???

1 - 10 of 10 Posts