BMW Werkz banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey SUp.... got sum problem wit my car .....
i got uh 87 bmw 325 e
my bmw been goin crazy i don't know why but it been revin by it self wen i don't drive the car such as i turned the car on n it start revin n afta a while it shuts off.... n wen i try to gas it i have to gas it like fo 2 sec to actually have gas comin out so its been very hard fo me to start up.... n everytime i start off so i have to gas i see a big klump of black smoke comin off of my exhaust ... so i was wondering does ne 1 know ? please give me a hand.... CONFuSED.... i did all kind of things like oil changing, fuel injection , coolant, etc...please tell me wats wrong... :nope

·
Registered
178 Posts
Holy crap dude. Please try and explain what is going on a bit more clearly. I understood like 5% of what you just said.

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
translate to english then we can help you

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bmw 87 325e
This is what happen... ever since like a month ago, when i turn on my car it made this very weird sound which was like someone reving an engine. and after around like 10-30 sec later my car shut down itself. So ever since that happened, every time i turn on the car i gas it a few times so the car wont shut off but i notice everytime i gas it takes around 1-2 sec to actually have gas comin out of the car and i always see black smoke coming out of the exhaust everytime i start gasing but it goes away wen i keep gasing. The reving sound does not only happen when i start the car, also wen im on neutral when im at a stop sign or just lettin my car roll. So do you know wat is the problem ...? is it my exhaust system? i already did oil change, fuel injection, change engine oil, coolant, etc. please help me out here... i been so scared b/c my bmw shuts off wen im in teh middle of a freeway

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
did you change your fuel filter?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My friend works at jiffy lube n i brought it there he taught me to use this spray bottle to spray it in to the engine. It's like while im gasing i spray that thing in.... after i let the car run n i saw a bunch of smoke came out of the exhaust.... if it is not that what should i do?

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Originally posted by BmWNoobie@Sep 3 2003, 06:14 PM
i did the fuel injection... which clears out the exhaust system
:confused :confused injection --> clears exhaust ??? :confused :confused

maybe your cat convertor is clogged.

also black smoke could mean you are running rich. look for intake leaks.

look at your plugs. they can tell you a lot about what is going on in your engine. compare them to these pics:
http://www.autolite.com/tech/PlugTips.pdf

·
Registered
5 Posts
:drunk

There's always the o2 sensor. They tend to go especially on a late 80's models right about now. I replaced it in both my 86 and 88 325s. The 86 used to keep reving, especially at idle and then die out. You might have a combination of problems, but it is worth looking into your o2 sensor as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I agree with the above post. In any car I have had (6 VW's, 3 Hondas and 1 Mazda) when the O2 sensor failed I had similar problems. The most noticable problem is the vehicle running extremely rich, thus causing the black smoke out the tailpipe. A bad O2 sensor can even cause the vehicle to start real hard, as in my Mazda Protege. I've also had a couple of bad catalytic converter problems in my past vehicles. They also cause driveability problems. A bad 02 sensor can cause deterioration of the catalytic converter, so get your problem checked out. Good Luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts