BMW Werkz banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just recently purchaced a 2003 325i and I don't know what to do about these brake lights. Top and middle(turning) lights are working just fine but the bottom light doesn't turn on at all. I'm pretty sure its not supposed to be that way. I took it back to the dealer and they couldn't find a problem with it so they just sent me on my way. I checked the fuses and bulbs, and theyre not the problem. BTW, I'm having the same issue with both tailights. Please advise. Thanks!

http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/449/p9020145zq7.jpg
This is a link to a photo of the lights on where mine are failing

· Premium Member
14,701 Posts
Which lights come on with parking lights? Some BMW's have dedicated brake and parking lights (parking light does not light brighter when braking as a separate brake light is used). If there is a blank or empty light section that appears to do nothing, it's likely for an unused rear rain/fog light for Euro spec cars.

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Which lights come on with parking lights? Some BMW's have dedicated brake and parking lights (parking light does not light brighter when braking as a separate brake light is used). If there is a blank or empty light section that appears to do nothing, it's likely for an unused rear rain/fog light for Euro spec cars.
The top-most light comes on with the parking lights and those on the trunk. I also thought these bottom lights might be for some other specific reason like emergency lights, night time driving, parking lights, or backing up lights, but I can't get them to come on under any circumstance. I'm not too sure that they are unused lights because theyre the biggest part of the entire tail light. It would be kind of odd for that entire part not to be used. Thoughts, answers anyone?

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The post helped me understand what the bottom brake lights are for. Since I have a 2003 model, its the X3 and X4 light bulbs that are not turning on. Apparently they are "normal rear driving lights" which makes me wonder. When I turn on the car, it reads no warning lights just some red indicators where the headlights are. I'm thinking the previous owner had the daytime running lights(DRL) turned off and its triping a warning light. Maybe the bottom tail lights aren't coming on because they are part of the DRL system? Too bad I bought the car at a GM dealer, they are as clueless as I am when it comest to this car. Input anyone?

These are the indicators that come on when I start the car.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y126/ObsidianShadow1/img1248287327156.jpg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.