BMW Werkz banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my names Joe...stumbled onto this place from google.com

Well last night was a HORRIBLE night for me...I got t-boned in my black 97 v6 Camaro and the car is totalled! Im ok.....but I mean, the car is just messed up beyond recognition.

So since I really cant afford ANOTHER camaro I am considering a used 92-94 BMW 3 series.

I love the sporty looks and i like the options they have.

I however have some questions b4 I possibly buy one.

- What are the reliability of these cars? How many miles can they go b4 crapping out?

- Performance 0-60's, stock 1/4 mile times, braking, hp, tq ect.

Stuff like that.....

Ive got about $7000 to spend. Im not looking for anything faster than my Camaro...but something with some "go" in it.

Thanks in advanced.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Well, let me be the first to throw a welcome your way jnicklo!! B)

Sorry bout your crash and I'm glad you're ok..anytime you get 'T-boned' it's a scary situation..

The years' you are looking at are extremely popular as I have a '94 myself, but considerably different than your '97 camaro in so many ways that it's not even a comparison..

Relability issues..outstanding!! Bimmer's are virtually bulletproof..
Performance..you'll have to 3 mod's..chip, intake and exhaust..
7 grand you'll prolly be in the 80-120k range but that is nothing on bim's..

Keep us informed on your finding's and we'll be more than happy to help you out!!

:thumbs

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wow! yours is a 94? And thats the car in your sig?

Looks new to me. LOL

Yeah, lets see how the whole insurance thing goes. My camaro had 88k miles on it. Im seeing alot of 93-94 325s for around 7000$ on Autotrader.com

Maybe someone can IM me on aim and we'll chat about my findings? I dont want to get stuck with a car that isnt top notch.

ie: when i bought my camaro it had 3.08s and an open rear end. I ended up swapping to 342s & LSD.....dont wanna go through that again.

my s/n is black97cam

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh yeah, can i see some interior photos too??? that is a big thing w/ me...interiors make a HUGE diff. in buying a car.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
welcome aboard, jnicklo!! :welcome B)

sorry to hear about your camaro. at least you're okay. that's the most important part.

bmw's are very reliable. i've seen some with over 200K miles on it and still running good. you will need to add some mods for more performance, however, they are great without them. my car doesn't have any performance mods yet, only cosmetic so far.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
can anyone provide me the specs?????

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
but still no times.....no specs.

I may not get it if I dont get any good info on the car.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Originally posted by jnicklo@Aug 16 2003, 08:16 PM
but still no times.....no specs.

I may not get it if I dont get any good info on the car.
Dude, BMW's are not race cars, they are luxury rides w/ a huge emphasis on handling..if you want camaro comparisons on your 7 grand BMW budget forgetaboutit!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the m3 & m5....those are pretty much cars to race...

But can a 325 do at least a 15.9 or better in the quarter mile? 0-60s all i wanna know. I dont want something sluggish

·
Registered
878 Posts
i have no experience with the camero...i will tell you that my 328 '98 smokes pretty much every car off the line. i have been smoked by an m3 and it looked like a suped 325....but i don't try to smoke other bimmers....

i think you will be much happier with the bmw. try and find a bmw 325 w/ a sport package. so the model you want is a 325 IS. my car stock is 190 hp. the torque range is from mid to high 2's and all the way up to 6. sometimes i redline the rev's because the pick up is so fast. my 0-60 is close to 5 i think...though i've never timed it. if you put a cold air intake in and maybe add a chip...you might see a big difference to the tone of 20hp. all i know is that bmw v6's frequently out perform american v8's. try to test drive one at your local dealer. they should have a used car lot. does that help? you can email me: [email protected]

best of luck.

:thumbs

·
Registered
23 Posts
Originally posted by morph@Aug 16 2003, 08:02 PM
. my 0-60 is close to 5 i think...though i've never timed it
try timing your 0-60, youre nowhere near 5 secs in a 325, try closer to 6.5-7

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
ill be close to 5 hehehe

·
Registered
23 Posts
Originally posted by Fruityone@Aug 16 2003, 11:42 PM
ill be close to 5 hehehe
FI?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Im definately looking for an 325IS

I looked @ the local BMW dealership (and its a HUGE one). They said they do not carry anything older then 1998....

I've found some online from Autotrader.com.....

Is there a difference in the two door and four door?

Also, what kind of cool gadgets do the 93-95 325is come with????

·
Registered
878 Posts
just go in there and try driving a '98. you'll get a good idea (a better idea rather :D ) of how the car will feel. as for little quirks.....i don't know....it's a bimmer isn't that enough?? :lol:
the handling is great, they are pretty responsive. i used to valet and between jag's, merc and bmw the bimmers are my fav. i think you will really like them. i find that those bimmers from 5-8 years ago had all the stuff that american cars are coming out with now. also you may be in a "lower" hp engine than your camero (i don't know) but i could almost guarantee that you will feel a huge difference. one thing i have noticed is that the rpm that the car "pulls" in is much larger than other cars. maybe someone else might have more to add??

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Originally posted by jnicklo@Aug 17 2003, 12:32 PM
Im definately looking for an 325IS

I looked @ the local BMW dealership (and its a HUGE one). They said they do not carry anything older then 1998....

I've found some online from Autotrader.com.....

Is there a difference in the two door and four door?

Also, what kind of cool gadgets do the 93-95 325is come with????
the e36 325is does 0-60 around 7.0-7.5 stock. 96, however, was the turning point for e36's in alot of areas, the biggest change being the new M52 engines replacing the M50's, the there was other exterior touch ups, and a new digital climate control.
but since your intersted in 92-95's here's some info i was able to dig about the options available during those years:
for 92 and 93 the only options were: auto trans, LSD, and leather.
same for 94 except for the introduction of ASC traction control.
in 1995 bmw did away with LSD, but offered new sport packages and luxury packages.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So say...I get a 94.....

That can have the Limited Slip Differential (which is a good thing)....is there a door code I can look for????

Example: the performance pkg code for the Camaro was Y87 and was found on the door sticker. Where would i find these on a 94 325is ????

Also, what does that oboard computer do???

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
here i took this pic of my manual from my 94 325is...

Attachments

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Originally posted by jnicklo@Aug 16 2003, 09:29 PM
the m3 & m5....those are pretty much cars to race...
yeah you should get one of those. j/k you will be impressed with a BMW my man.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts