BMW Werkz banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My E36 316i, overheats when drivig in city. If I let the engine running it starts to heat too much, but if I start driving, the engine returns to his ideal temperature. I've notest that the cooling fan that's atached to the engine is always runing, what about the fan behind the front bumber? It starts only when the AC is turned on or it helps the engine cool too? Sorry about my english but i think you understand my problem.
Thanks in advance! :help

Attachments

·
ex owner/admin
10,839 Posts
the fan in front of the bumper is your auxilery fan it works in conjunction with the a/c, the clutch fan is connected to the engine..
i think you have a problem with the thermostat. id take it to get it changed

·
Registered
391 Posts
Sounds like the thermostat might be stuck closed. Not real expensive or hard to fix if you are good with cars.
Ben

·
Registered
497 Posts
The aux fan should also come on periodically with or without the a/c, mainly when idling. Sounds like you have a faulty temp switch.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Where can I get a nose panel and grill like that? Portugal Only?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Being that it cools down when you are moving, it appears to be an airflow issue. Your auxillary fan should kick on if it gets to a certain temp in the radiator.
The clutch fan alone can't pull enough air at times.

If the aux fan works with the ac on, try keeping the ac on, and seeing if it'll get hot at idle. If it does not, then I'd sudpect the temp switch, as Extech said.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts