BMW Werkz banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heard noise when turning the steering wheel recently on my 2005 525i. THe noise is more obvious after driving for a while, and hard to hear when car is cold. Thought it mightbe the power steering wheel fluid level is low, try to add some ATF fluid, but the noise is still there. What could be the problem?

Thanks for any advise!

·
Help from over the pond
3,239 Posts
Sounds like the power steering pump, as the fluid was low it must have a leak somewhere, whilst stationary with the car running get someone to turn the wheel while you have a listen under the bonnet/hood, it would be better if the front of the car is off the ground...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply! By the way, what should I see if there is a leak under the hood? Should I remove the bottom cover underneath first?

Also, I did not hear the noise when the car is cold, and only hear the noise after driving for a while. In this case, is this still the pump issue?

Thanks again!

Sounds like the power steering pump, as the fluid was low it must have a leak somewhere, whilst stationary with the car running get someone to turn the wheel while you have a listen under the bonnet/hood, it would be better if the front of the car is off the ground...

·
Help from over the pond
3,239 Posts
Remove the bottom guard and have a good look around, as said you really need someone to turn the wheel while you listen out....it may not be the pump but something else..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts