BMW Werkz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my first BMW. It is a 1997 528i with 137k. I bought it from what I thought was a friend of mine but as I drove it I began to notice numerous problems. The ABS light and the traction control light came on about a day after I bought it. The transmission would not shift on its own and when it did it would go from D to s2 and I could not get it to go into fourth gear. I just had the trans rebuilt, along with a broken control arm and tensioner pulley. The car drove like brand new for three days(150 miles) all of the sudden the traction control light cam on again and the ABS light and it has to be shifted manually again. I just spent a ton of money and am beginning to pull my hair out. The car looks brand new and I have always wanted one but now I am questioning everything. My so-called friend wont answer the phone anymore and says there was nothing wrong. Right!!! I know it only had a tail light warranty along with our friendship. The heat doesn't work if you aim it out the vents only from the floor and defroster. The temp gauge sometimes works. Just wondering if anyone has heard of this happening before or if they know of anything I could do. I am really at a loss here. I don't know anything about BMWs. The car looks brand new, I just wish I could get it to run like that. I would also like if someone could give me some help. How about someone that knows where I could get some interior parts replaced. If you could help please let me know. I would really appreciate it.
Sean

·
Help from over the pond
3,239 Posts
First thing I would do is get a full diagnostics undertaken and sort out the mechanics/electrical side of the car.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys. its at the shop right now and I am going to have them search the electrical system. is it possible i need a new computer of some sort?

·
Help from over the pond
3,239 Posts
Could be the GM (general module), wait and see what the shop come up with...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts