BMW Werkz banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
why is it that with the 95 corrola & 93 vw golf handbrake turns are so soo simple? with the e36 325 u gotta pull the lever quikly & still u dont get the full effect? is it maybe cos the rear wheel also uses disk unlike the latter mention'd which i think uses drums? also, would u bugger ur engine by always red lining it? a fried of mine blew his piston (but that had nos).

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I always wanted to try pulling my ebrake and turn.....

·
Registered
537 Posts
even though i think that horrible its probaly just cause you can't break traction as easy because it a BMW

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
OK, lets examine this one step at a time.

1. Aforementioned cars are FWD
2. BMWs are RWD.
3. Handbraking FWD locks rear wheels, gas still powers from wheels
4. Handbraking RWD locks rear wheels, you loose gas hence power to carry you thru turn hence momentum hence you stop.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Why don't they lock the front? Then you could just pull the ebrake and lit em up, smoke everywhere...hahaha.....can you change it to lock in the front?

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
the primary purpose of t the e-brake is to stop the car in the event of brake failure. The e-brake also uses separate pads for stopping. It is designed to lock only the rear wheels, so that in theory you retain steering control.

I suppose you could rig some system that locks all wheels when it is pulled, but it would be simpler to disable the ABS if you wanted to smoke your tires. to lokc the front and rear you would need to run a new cable to the front and install a secondary brake on the front axle.

·
ex owner/admin
10,839 Posts
because pulling the handbrake on a fwd car induces oversteer. pull it in a rwd car it doesnt really do much but stop you. you have to manually turn the car really hard to get it to do very much..
because of the amount of snow here, i mess around in both rwd and fwd cars.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Man, you gotta respect your ride. A BMW isn't somethin you can just beat on!!!! :nono

·
Registered
537 Posts
The e-brake also uses separate pads for stopping.
are you sure? i thought it just mechncily squezzes the pads or shoes(depending on the car.
oh except the discs that have drums inside(is that what you speak of?

·
ex owner/admin
10,839 Posts
its pretty simple if you want the back end to swing out, turn the wheel drop a gear and hit the gas, you'll be drifting iin no time

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
Originally posted by alanh@Dec 7 2003, 04:11 PM
The e-brake also uses separate pads for stopping.
are you sure? i thought it just mechncily squezzes the pads or shoes(depending on the car.
oh except the discs that have drums inside(is that what you speak of?
Some cars use a separate pad becuase the cable is attached directly to it. It would be very hard to pull a hydrolic caliper shut, whereas a mechanical clamp is easy to pull. It depends on the brake system--some ebrake are an integral part of the main brake and others arent. I'm not sure what the e36 uses, but I'd guess its a separate brake. Ill go check my book and report back in a sec.

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
OK, somebody moved my book. Ill find out tomorrow.

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
indeed, the e36 uses a separate set of shoes for the e-brake that are located behind the rotor and directly to the cable and lever.

·
Registered
263 Posts
if you want to handbrake turn your bmw you should get that gadget. i seen this handbrake gadget in some stores. yea it';s basically this button you install near your handbrake and push the button and the handbrake will go down by itself. got no idea what this gadget is called though sorry

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
its not hard to get going side ways in a bmw! i drive a 318 auto! (no making fun guys!) and my friend with a jetta will lock the e brake around a corner and do his little stuff, and if for some reason im feeling dumb all i do is put it in either 2 or 1 and put it throw the wheel and you will be gone, whats nice about the rear wheel though i feel you have way more control through the drift! but i dont do it that much any ways! so yeah

David

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
I snowed here last night, damn I was having fun. I did a reverse 180 out of my parking spot leaving work and slid around corners almost 90 degrees.

Much applause from coworkers.

And all done with out ebrake. Learn to control the car and feel what its doing and you shouldnt have to even think about the ebrake. I think it was Motor Trend that did an aritcle/competition on drifting back in September or October. See if you can find it. the guys explain their techniques. Should give you some pointers.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts