BMW Werkz banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all...
i jz came back from the service center, and the guyz there agreed on a theory i had..... MY DRIVER SIDE HAD PROBABLY BEEN SWITCHED !!!!!
i drive on the left, like most countries... but most probably the driver used to be on the right... how i did build my theory:

- wipers are inversed (the dirty unwiped area is in front of me while my passenger side is all wiped)
-my side mirrors bug me so bad however i turn them i never get good vision unless i sit in the passenger seat... they are very good then
-the car has electric mirror control on both doors, but only mine works
-i used to feel the wheel a bit uncomfortable... my right hand's distance's slightly shorter than my left when i have them parallel on it
-my leg aint very confy inside

The service center told me yeah its very probable... one thing is the wheel because my side of the dash used to be a bit angled when it used to be driven on the left, another thing is that the pedals look that they have been put there because they are more distant than in usual automatic cars like mine (95 318is)

.... GUYZ ? what do u think i should do ? i mean i know that when i bought my car like 1.5 month ago the service center and a couple of other mechanics told me the car is in mint condition, and still today the service center guy told me besides being switched, the car is fabulous mechanically, very mint condition ! and he told me its not dangerous being switched...
any other opinions ? sorry it wuz a long text... but hehe some of u probably know i talk a lot eheheh (Furious :D )

What do u guyz think ???

·
Premium Member
5,370 Posts
Probably u can see if there' holes in the enginepartition for another steering axe..... :cry

If there are technical defects, go back to the salesman and say what your thinking about........... Maybe he knows what's changed on the car............ If you bought it in a 2nd hand car shop with warranty, bring the car back (that's too much for him!!)

·
ex owner/admin
10,839 Posts
i cant really see there being that type of work being done just to convert a car to left hand drive. it seems like too much work.,, however i wouldnt put it past anyone to do this. i dont have mirror controls on my passenger side of my car. and i am never that uncomforatble in the drivers seat (only long trips because of my height)
try dutch's idea and also get under the carpet on the passenger side and see if there are holes for the peddles.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Check the firewall there should be empty holes for other thing under there. Would things in the engine bay be located differently on right hand drive car? Say fuse box etc?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
humm.. abt the pedals.. i'll try to check.. but anyways the car has a new inside upholstery.. i have to try to check in some way..
anyways the car is in an excellent shape every mechanic or serviceman or even ppl that saw it told me the car is like new + the main guy @ the BOSCH center told me there's no danger or problems with that if it really is what i think, cuz the car is like defect free.. i dunno... gimme more feedback heheh its like am so in love with my new baby i cannot think ! ... :(

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
P.S: tnx Furious heheh

Guyz.. got an idea.. try to think of this as a new weird Mod !!! heheheh

oh a question.. how many posts it takes to getaway from the n00bie stage ? heheh :p

·
Registered
242 Posts
Originally posted by TECH@Jan 15 2004, 11:17 PM
Maybe it was used as a mail delivery vehicle? :driving :blink:
:laughhead: :lmao2 :laughhead:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
alan in my country we drive on the left.. .. but yeah that uniqueness thing .. i like it
guyz u dont think i should do somthing stupid like returning it or something ! right ? anyways am gonna go again to check everything in the steering and pedal system is error free... so i can drive with inner peace ..

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
guyz...
i tried that VIN Decoder online :
http://www.bmw-z1.com/VIN/VINdecode-e.cgi
look what it gave me ..

Chassis number JC06602
Vehicle code BE62
Series E36
Model 318is ( 318isM42 )
Body type coupe
Catalog model ECE
Production date 1995 / 06
Engine M42
Transmission Automatic
Steering Right
Catalyzer YES

see the steering.. ?? dammit..
How reliable would that decoder be ??

·
Registered
32 Posts
That is crazy... What are you going to do?? :pissed2

·
Registered
95 Posts
Return it back to the dealer assuming you got it the car there and exchange it for a proper left-hand drive bimmer just to be cautious. The car you have was made to be a Right HD and all the things designed for the comfort of the driver is on the passenger side :cry . anyone who rides with you will be more comfortable than you :bravo :drool

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
that is some messed up stuff. a lot of money into doing that. for the cost of doing the work you could most likely get your self a good down payment for a new one...

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
post some pics

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
m3 turbo, i will post some pics as soon as i remember to borrow some digital cam.
I took my car to the official BMW dealer here in Lebanon, they told me my theories were 100% true they checked it from beneath the wheel axe has been inserted on the left side of the steering system and the opening on the original right side is blocked with some kind of silicone stuff. Anyways they told me its done in a good way there's no need to worry or anything. Its 100% safe i don have to panic..
I went up to the dealer where i got the car from, he freaked out and told me he would exchange it with any other similar car i want, and because my car is a special one (318 is coupe, 95, royal black, originial m3 front/rear bumper with lower lip, and sideskirts ) he told me if i want i can wait till he gets another one of my choice.
I dunno guyz, i luv my ride so much i dont think i will give it back.. :) but anyways they told me its safe i don have to worry.. about confort yeah i got some issues specially with the inside ground re-arranged upholstery i feel my compartment is a bit weird, my pedals a bit far than the usual, my mirrors need to be switched, but i guess i got used to the pedals although when i sit am a bit unconfortable but i got used to it.. so i dunno i guess am gonna keep it for now)
And the price wasnt including the swtiching cost, i got it at a good price, same like other regular coupes here in my country ...

·
Registered
213 Posts
I personally like the idea about switching it back....that'll turn hedz everywhere. Itll be alot of werk ....but the Girrlies will be worth it ...:)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts