BMW Werkz banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my situation: My guibo is shot. It's the 3rd one in 4 months. I installed UUC solid tranny bushings. Normally these wouldn't be a problem, but before I got the car there was bad frame damage. The combination of the frame damage and the solid bushings kills guibo's. I'm getting rid of the car in a few months and getting a '95 35is. I'm gonna strip this one and put some parts on the new one and save some. I don't want to buy a new guibo or stock tranny bushings. I don't want to put ANY money into the car. I thought of a quick fix. I'm going to cut 2 circles out of a piece of 16 gauge steel and drill 6 holes in them. I'm going to put one circle on each side of the guibo. WHat does everyone think of this idea as a TEMPORARY fix??????

· Registered
650 Posts
I would have to say fix it right the first time and you don't have to worry about it agian. I learned that the hard way with my first car.

· Registered
1,493 Posts
Re: Guibo

You keep replacing guibos - that indicates bad shaft alignment, or mismatched tranny and rear end... :(

In Asia, where parts are hard to find... You can fashion one out of conveyor belt material using ur original guibo as a pattern. Depending on how thick your material is, you may have to make 3 or so... It's definitely more durable than the original. Your fix just won't work... you need for the shaft to play longitudinally and laterally while the suspension "plays".

But, why go that way??? Time vs. money analysis will tell us, it's cheaper to buy 2 guibo's over using up time to fabricate 1 + the material expense ;)

Cheers

· Premium Member
14,769 Posts
The guibo is made out of rubber for a reason: to be the weakest part in the drivetrain so that you don't tear up the gearbox or the driveshaft. You make it solid, you're pretty much guaranteed to destroy something else (might not happen immediately, but it puts a lot more stress where it wasn't designed to be).

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I did it the right way and it shredded the guibo again. So now I did it my way. The first pic is of my guibo shredding progression.

Attachments

· Premium Member
14,769 Posts
btw, how are you driving this car if you're shredding guibos like that? Under normal (or even agressive driving), it should last tens of thousands of miles.

edit: Still not a fan of the fix. I wouldn't be surprised if you now move from shredding guibos to demolishing the center bearings (which are quite a bitch to replace in comparison).

· Registered
24 Posts
btw, how are you driving this car if you're shredding guibos like that? Under normal (or even agressive driving), it should last tens of thousands of miles.

edit: Still not a fan of the fix. I wouldn't be surprised if you now move from shredding guibos to demolishing the center bearings (which are quite a bitch to replace in comparison).
+1!!! Congratulations on now being the owner of a time-bomb! Glad I won't be behind you when parts start grenading...

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The guibo's keep shredding cause there is frame damage from before I got the car. And as far as flex goes I used 16 gauge sheet metal. It's not high grade steel. It won't give as much flex as the guibo but it will give a little flex. If I had a guibo fabricated out of titanium THEN everything would start blowing up.

· Registered
24 Posts
ROLFLMAO! you remind me of a young guy I knew about 5 years ago. He's a very successful custom car builder these days, but he wasn't afraid to think about doing anything to a car!! And he usually did it too! He's an interesting chap. (but dangerous..)

· Premium Member
14,769 Posts
The guibo's keep shredding cause there is frame damage from before I got the car. And as far as flex goes I used 16 gauge sheet metal. It's not high grade steel. It won't give as much flex as the guibo but it will give a little flex. If I had a guibo fabricated out of titanium THEN everything would start blowing up.
if I had a bent frame, I'd be looking at fabricating something to move the engine and tranny a little so that the driveshaft can be aligned properly ... but that's just me.

I hope your fix works. Keep us posted.

· Registered
27 Posts
bombsquad, how ya doin'?? missin ya over the other forum...

anyway, sorry to hear of the frame damage. does this mean the plans on the custom console have been drawered for now, or has that been completed??

i was hoping to see some pics of the progress.

df

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude. I've been spending so much time changing guibo's I haven't had time to do fiberglass work. I have to finish the console AND make a switch box for the roof. I relocated my window switch's up there. Ima have the 2 window switch's and the sunroof switch next to each other. That way it will be easy to open and close all three at the same time. Thanks for reminding me. I really gotta finish it. I've had my $600 dvd player sitting in the box for 6 months. Now that my guibo is set ima make time for the fiberglass. Tell Amber i'm waiting to go on our date and Chad to get rid of the GRANDPA Jag.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.