BMW Werkz banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This would be my first Bimmer. A local dealer has a 1997 318i, black, with only 48K miles. He wants 11.5K for it. It seems to be in very good to excellent condition. Automatic with roof. Is this a good deal? Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks... yeah I have checked that out... but you never know with those things. I figured I would ask some people who were knowledgable.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
all depends on if it's what you seriously want... a car can cost only 5 grand and have a KBB worth 20g's, and if it's not what you want, it's not worth getting... just be happy if you buy it...that price sounds decent enough, you could even get into a 325 with a I-6 for that price..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the comments. Also.. the car has what seems to be a leather or leatherette. Did BMW make a faux leather or is it likely real leather? The dealer does not know.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Originally posted by bimmerfan620@Jan 24 2004, 12:31 AM
...that price sounds decent enough, you could even get into a 325 with a I-6 for that price...
:idea2 As a '92 325i owner, I suggest getting the bigger, more powerful inline 6; if you can for about the same dollar. It will have lots more power, and better resale value... B)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Originally posted by docrobot+Jan 24 2004, 05:53 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (docrobot @ Jan 24 2004, 05:53 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-bimmerfan620@Jan 24 2004, 12:31 AM
...that price sounds decent enough,  you could even get into a 325 with a I-6 for that price...
:idea2 As a '92 325i owner, I suggest getting the bigger, more powerful inline 6; if you can for about the same dollar. It will have lots more power, and better resale value... B) [/b][/quote]
i'd definately say to go for a 325, theres more power and theres a lot more potential, even if it means going for a car that is a couple years older, i'd say its well worth it....just my 2 cents

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah the 325 would be nice... but one of the main reasons I am looking at this 318i is that it has only 48K miles on it. That is almost unbelievable.

·
Registered
236 Posts
that's true, but keep in mind that if these cars are treated right they will last a hell of a long time...someone correct me if i'm wrong but aren't bmw engines rated for 250-300 thousand miles?

·
Registered
380 Posts
I have a '96 318i, 5 speed, and it's black w/ sport package (recently added sport rims). It has right at 100,000 miles and still sounds very strong. Having 48k on a '97 BMW is very low, if you want to save some cash, personaly I'd go for a higher mileage car that's been taken care of. You can save alot of cash. Nowadays, you can get a '96 328i on ebay for 11,500 or so pretty easily. I'd search for one there, as I bought my '96 318i two years ago off of there for only $9,100. There are BMW Dealerships selling BMW's on ebay. Look for those. Just a few things I thought I'd let ya know.

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
the 318 is a great buy, but do not get in an automatic form. The i4 does not have enough power to move with it. The manual is decent. You get better milage with the i4 and lower insurance, but you get a good 50 more HP with the 325, but with lower fuel economy and higher insurance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I guess it's all a moot point. Just got back from the local BMW dealer and picked up a 2000 323i with Premium Sport package and leather. 37K miles. Drives like a dream.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Congradulations. That's a very nice model.
I bet it cost you a tad over your 11.5K though !!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah just a bit... but at the same time... I got 2.9% financing... whereas before I was looking at 11%. Sweeeeeeeeeet.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
putz

1 - 20 of 24 Posts