BMW Werkz banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:helphey guys i am back to the bmw scene after not owning one for some time now anyway i kust bought a 1987 325 its not a is i e or es just 325 lol anyway it has a few issues.....tachometer does not work temp gauge does not work and mpg meter does not work i was wondering if someone can point me in the right direction to fixing these problems i have only owed 1 bmw before this one so yes i am a NOOB lol thanks:rofl

· Registered
29 Posts
If the fuses do not help. Your most likely going to have to remove the gauge cluster. There are 3 common things that go wrong with those clusters. The first and most common is the battery for the little computer in there goes bad. You can replace it with a standard rechargable, you do have to solder it in however.

The second is the grounds. This I believe may be the source of your temp gauge not working. Check the temp sender first however. It is located on the water outlet and has two leads coming off of it. As for the grounds, when you remove the cluster, you will see two bolts under the temp gauge and gas gauge. Check for corrosion and replace the nuts to be sure of a clean connection.

The last and most serious issue is when solder joints crack and lose connection. This happened to me and I had to re-flow all of my solder joints.

Another thing to check is the pins that the wiring harnesses connect to. They sometimes become corroded.

Finally, you do not need to remove the steering wheel to get the cluster out, you can just be really clever with maneuvering it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.