BMW Werkz banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

My wife's E36 1998 328iC convertible top does not function. I took the car to the dealer for an inspection and they estimated $2500 for new motors for the top. While top down is fun, I wish to make the repairs myself with used parts to save some $$$. If I can get it operational, it would definitely allow me to delay my honey-do list for a while.

Questions for the thread:
1. Are there tests I can run on the individual motors to identify problems/failures?
2. Can I hook them up to a 12V battery and see if they start working?
3. Relays/switches. How/what can I test electrically before I start ripping out the motors and such?
4. Any advice from E36 convertible owners out there who are tired of that little red light on the center console flashing at you would be appreciated.

Thank you all!

·
Ich bin der Modifikator
3,323 Posts
All,

My wife's E36 1998 328iC convertible top does not function. I took the car to the dealer for an inspection and they estimated $2500 for new motors for the top. While top down is fun, I wish to make the repairs myself with used parts to save some $$$. If I can get it operational, it would definitely allow me to delay my honey-do list for a while.

Questions for the thread:
1. Are there tests I can run on the individual motors to identify problems/failures?
2. Can I hook them up to a 12V battery and see if they start working?
3. Relays/switches. How/what can I test electrically before I start ripping out the motors and such?
4. Any advice from E36 convertible owners out there who are tired of that little red light on the center console flashing at you would be appreciated.

Thank you all!
I hope this helps you:

http://www.bmwmotorsports.org/BMW_docs/converttops.pdf

jb :)

·
A NEW DAY RISES...
2,447 Posts
As always - nice find and post JB! :clap

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This instruction book is brilliant! Thank you!

Just one question, how do you work this without the Diagnostics tool? I have the 20 pin basic fault code reader and reset tool, but not the DIS laptop GT-1 system. Can I disengage the top mechanically and try to find an electrical short? Can I remove the motors and test their operation with a 12V battery?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts