1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
1,115 Posts

· Help from over the pond
3,230 Posts
Mobil 1 for me....

· Registered
486 Posts
Interesting. The PO did not use Full Synth Oil. So the first oil change I did I used Mobile 1.
my 93 740il started leaking a bit. So I tried Castrol GTX Synth Blend, no leaks. I've heard FullSynth on a high mileage engine will cause leaks. I guess it's true.

· Help from over the pond
3,230 Posts
Now you've lost me...why ask the question in the 1st place when you know what your car requires ?????, if it has full BM history its always been given the required oil....10w/30 or 10w/40 will be fine, full syn/semi syn or mineral will all be fine....they all mix with one another...

· Registered
80 Posts
I've heard conflicting views on switching from organic to partial synth/ full synthetic on high mileage engines.

Some say that it is bad because synthetic oil will slowly remove the organic buildup deposited by organic oil which supposedly helps keep the engine sealed. They say this causes leaks (like you experienced).

Others say it is good because of superior lubrication and operating temperatures, which they say adds HP due to a reduction of friction.

Its hard to tell which is the better option, and reading more conflicting views makes my head spin.

· 42, The meaning of life
2,399 Posts
I am just trying to figure out whether 10W40 was the standard for the time the car was made, or if 5W50 or 0W40 was readily available, that would have been recommended.

Not knowing a lot about oils, does the 5W50 option offer the equivalent protection of 10W40 plus more, or are there trade offs with the wider range?

· Registered
155 Posts
This will sound snotty but I always buy new and Mobil 1 syn always goes in at the 10 mile point. Waste of money maybe but 80-100.00 is cheap peace of mind.:rule

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.