BMW Werkz banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all I just fixed my coolant tank on my 1993 525i in the process i broke the bleeder and had to fill it wrong is there any other way to bleed the system? I really hope so because this is my daily driver.

· Registered
1,493 Posts
GoTTa Bleed friend. ain't no two ways about that. U can try bleeding by filling the reservoir to flowing full... loosening the top radiator hose clamp, and letting the coolant "bleed" awhile, and hope it will work. It will be messy!!!

bleeder screw are where they are (up high in the system) so air pockets can be purged.

Good luck ;-)

· Registered
23 Posts
Please tell me you fixed. I had the same problem. Did not bleed properly.
2 blocks from home, needle on Red, trying to get over to the side of the road.
BOOOOOOM!!!!!! my plastic thermostat housing blew wide open!

· Registered
1,493 Posts
Please tell me you fixed. I had the same problem. Did not bleed properly.
2 blocks from home, needle on Red, trying to get over to the side of the road.
BOOOOOOM!!!!!! my plastic thermostat housing blew wide open!
BOOOOM!???... ummm. i suggest you have the car checked out. Check for water in oil... or oil in coolant. Unless the t-stat/t-stat housing was defective, for it go BOOOM tells me that engine compression is leaking into your cooling system. *sigh... i hate to be the bearer of bad news :-(

Either way, replace the part, bleed properly and let us see... with some luck it was just steam that did the t-stat housing in ;-) You will know if there's engine damage... rough idling sputtering, and the like. (I sure hope not)

Do a compression check on all cylinders, and while you are at it, check for traces of coolant in plugs.

Good Luck

· Registered
23 Posts
BOOOOM!???... ummm. i suggest you have the car checked out. Check for water in oil... or oil in coolant. Unless the bottle was defective, for it go BOOOM tells me that engine compression is leaking into your cooling system. *sigh... i hate to be the bearer of bad news :-(

Do a compression check on all cylinders, and while you are at it, check for traces of coolant in plugs.

Good Luck
I think I'm very lucky.
Two blocks from home, my mechanic is two blocks in the other direction.
No oil/coolant coolant/oil that is the first thing he checked.
I think that the 'stat must have been stuck. Or the BMW Gods were lookin' out for the newb.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it is fixed

Hi guys sorry it took so long to reply. And to answer the questions yes it is fixed I went to my buddies junk yard and bought a radiator fan shroud and coolant bottle for $40. The build date on the rad is 9/16/08 and it is a factory replacement as well as the coolant bottle which is still the opaque white that they are when new. so all in all it wasn't bad and it only took 15 minutes to take out the old stuff and install the new. and after i bleed it i made sure the t stat worked as well. Thanks for your help to all.:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.