BMW Werkz banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my car 2 weeks ago and i know it'll require some work but I absolutely love my car. I'm having an issue with the coolant system that I cant seem to figure out. The previous owner said he replaced the radiator, expansion tank, water pump, hoses and bled out the coolant system. I dont see or smell any coolant leaks and the car does not smoke from the exhaust, however every 100 miles or so the check coolant level warning comes on the screen. I usually top it off with about 3/4 gallon of 50/50 mix antifreeze.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
14,730 Posts
Is there any sign of oil in the coolant or the reverse? I hate to point to the head gasket, but that should be checked.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I really have'nt noticed oil in coolant or vice versa. How bad could the bad news really be:( ?? Or should I ask how much could this cost me?

·
42, The meaning of life
2,405 Posts
Welcome to the Werkz. Good luck with the problem, there are plenty of well versed people in the support of BMW of all models. Just ask the the questions.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advise...I guess I shoud probably have to pressure test the coolant system and maybe do a compression check. Any other suggestions you can think of for trying to pinpoint my problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Whitshark I'm about 100 miles away from Miami...I usually go over at least once a week...any recommendations on a trustworthy mechanic that is not going to put me in the poor house

·
Help from over the pond
3,239 Posts
Hello and welcome to the Werkz, check around the waterpump area for a brown slimey residue, also there is a coolant hose at the rear of the engine which fails around 100k ish and of course age, mine failed at 132k #8 here:

RealOEM.com BMW E38 735i Cooling System Water Hoses

I have the same engine as you have apart from the series and cc.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks I'll look at the water pump and inspect all the hoses as well.

All though every time I park somewhere I cant seem to see or smell any antifreeze.

·
Premium Member
14,730 Posts
Whitshark I'm about 100 miles away from Miami...I usually go over at least once a week...any recommendations on a trustworthy mechanic that is not going to put me in the poor house
I'm not sure if the shop is still there, but I had some good work done at a place on NE 79th St in North Miami, at the last eastbound light before the drawbridge. There has been a big project there lately, but the shop was in the circle, on the north side of NE 79th.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Congratulation on your first time BMW car.Good luck with the problem.This forum is a nice place to be here.

·
Registered
16 Posts
chilidog,hi i had a similar problem with 525ie34 this was down to water leeking past seals on water pump if it is like mine with viscous fan grab hold of it firmly and see if youcan get any movement up and down if you can your water pump is shot failing that iam afraid it may be head gasket you dont mention which country you are in but we in england have a product called bars leaks which you put in rad and seals most leaks but not help if head gasket has gone ,when was water pump changed ? hope this helps u.k bmw owner 10 yrs ,i ignore comments about bmws being rubbish the problems usually come about by taking shortcuts on servicing, these are fabulous cars!! If you want to see rubbish see italion cars !!! what engine is in maclaron answer bmw v 12 bmw also powering rolls royce and new mini!!!german enginneering is the best audi engine in bugatti i have owned bms for 10 years and have only had to replace a water pump & wheel abs sensor inthat amount of time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts