BMW Werkz banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to say hello to all other members. Last week, the wife and I purchased our first "Ultimate Driving Machine" ... a 2002 330ci with Steptronic, sport and premium. I can't get over how fun it is to drive this car; the car truly handles like it is "on rails". The engine pulls solidly throughout the RPM range ... no matter how hard we push the car it never seems too strain the engine. Course we haven't pushed it too hard (not over 4500 rpms); we're still cautious with our new ride.

Also, I've noticed the Steptronic seems to provide much more engine braking than a normal automatic tranny. Anyone else notice this? In our other autos, when you back off the gas you coast. But with the 3, when you back off the gas you immediately slow down ... almost like a manual. Guess it's a Steptronic thing.

Anyway, enough rambling. Just glad to be an owner and a member of this board.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's used ... so hopefully the previous owner followed the break-in recommendations.

·
Registered
201 Posts
:welcome I've got a 99 323i, and don't notice what you are talking about. It might just be a "steptronic" thing like you mentioned. Any pics?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No pics yet.

What I'm trying to explain is the increased engine braking I've noticed; the Steptronic (even when in D mode) "holds" gears when you back off the gas (unlike other manufacturer's auto transmissions which tend to upshift to the next gear when you decrease throttle).

Example: Shift transmission from Park to Drive. Accelerate mildly from stop, transmission shifts from 1st to 2nd, then 2nd to 3rd. Release accelerator ... the 330 holds transmission in 3rd gear and the car begins to slow from engine braking ... kind of like if I was in Manual mode (or using a standard manual transmission).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts