BMW Werkz banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 97 540i and love the car. The problem is the fan stays on after I turn the car off and this kills the battery. I have the heat and ac both turned off but once in a while they spontaneously come on and stay on a few minutes or more then stay on when I turn the car off.

Any ideas?????????

·
Premium Member
14,730 Posts
Most likely it's a thermostat swich that turns the fan on at a certain temperature. There's usually also a switch that forces the fan(s) on any time the A/C is turned on.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks now I have to find that, I said I was clueless. Kinda odd considering its been in the 30s here that the AC would come on. thanks though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the same issue. Very frustrating, the thing has a mind of its own. My mechanic says it's the final stage unit. You might want to look at that. I bought one from eBay to put in myself.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don't know yet. Just got it in the mail today. Just in time for weekend tinkering. He was certain enough to offer to order the parts and schedule me in. I told him I'd take a crack at it. In the past two weeks I've done valve cover gaskets, water pump, oil separator, and yesterday, the cooling system. Oh yeah, three weeks ago, a fan clutch. He has enough of my money for right now. Love the car and the drive so what can I do?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Im with you and I hope it works. Mine has 150k miles and is the best car I have ever driven.

Mind if I ask what the unit costs, approximately.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Same here. Owned a 733i and a 525i, but the power in the 540i is incredible.
I paid $38 and change with free shipping. If you go that route be sure to check p/n at realoem.com. My '97 has 133k, my '99 has 158k. Wouldn't trade either of them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks but I cant find it...I really am cluless, have a link?? you will be in my will if you do. thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
No link, but go to eBay.com and type e39 final stage into the search. They'll come up and you just have to be sure to pick the right one. Very easy!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks 42, found it $38 like you said. Now I have to figure out if I can install it.

shark I could not find it there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts