BMW Werkz banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first thread, besides the one where I introduced myself, but I have read alot on this site before I became a member. Anyways I have a 2000 BMW 540IA. For the radio I have a BMW Business cassette player. So I want to take that out and install a CD player. The problem I am having is getting the current radio out of the dash. I have spent a couple hours on the internet on various sites including this one trying to find out how it comes out. I read a thread on here about removing the volume knob and there being a slot at the 6 o'clock position. So that is what I did, removed the knob and there was the slot at that position. Inside the slot was a torx screw. So I took a torx screwdriver and turned it. Thats when it broke. The top part of the screw broke off. So at this point I already had a few hours into getting the radio removed with the internet searching/reading and the actually working on the radio. So since I was having a bad night because of this and then the screw breaking I did the only logical thing I could do(well it seemed logical at the time once I actually get the radio out it will determine if this was the right move or not)i removed part of the dash and now I have the radion still in the dash sitting on my work bench in the basement. I figured it would be easier to work on once I got it all out of the car. Well so far it hasnt paid off. I can see alot better but I am still no closer to getting the radio out. So my question is is were do I go from here? Since that screw snapped off now what? Im willing to try just about anything at this point.

·
Help from over the pond
3,239 Posts
Hmmmmm....what should have happened as you are correct on the torx screw is....1/4 turn to the left not to hard and it would have lifted out from the side, as you have broken the head off Im unsure how to remove it, maybe drill the srew out ???

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am having similar problems, and poked my screw in out of sight when it didnt want to turn.
I am told I need a special tool to remove the panel, this goes into the cassette aperture, and hooks down on the right hand side of the aperture.

With the radio out, can you remove the lid of the cassette compartment, and get to see what needs to happen? I am, hopefully, getting a reply on this matter from a guy, so please pm me if you are still having problems, and I will send on any info.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts