BMW Werkz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Just wanted to see if I could clear up some confusion to my issue. Recently my 1999 e36 started having this heavy vibration in the wheel and a little in the seats, I could easily feel it on the drivers side. Well I went in and had my wheels re balanced and it cleared up the wheel shake, but the vibration in the seats has become 10x worse between 60-70 mph! Any ideas why this is happening?

·
Registered
15 Posts
It does sound like the drive shaft if it is under the seat. when the U-joints begin to wear it will create some "Play" or loosening, which will cause the driveshaft to move around a little bit. If U-joints gets real worn, you may actually here a slight thumping noise under the right side of the driver's seat. U- joints are not very expensive, but if you aren't mechanically endowed you might want a mechanic to replace them. The steering with the front suspension, tires, rotors, control arms, inner and outer tie rods, etc. can all be possibilities, but it seems that the tire balancing may have taken care of it if your steering wheel isn't vibrating especailly when braking or coming to a slow from a higher rate of speed. (like around 45 or higher)

·
Registered
1 Posts
It does sound like the drive shaft if it is under the seat. when the U-joints begin to wear it will create some "Play" or loosening, which will cause the driveshaft to move around a little bit
This problems calls for a drive shaft mechanic! Some of them suck at pricing, but not GJ Drivelines! They offer good quality service~

·
Registered
9 Posts
Vibration is usually caused by an out of balance or defective tire, a bent wheel or a worn driveline U-joint. You may find that the car shakes the car in an up and down motion. You may feel vibration through the seat, the steering wheel or even in the brake pedal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts