BMW Werkz banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Greetings from Iowa. This is my first post on this forum. I must say, this is the best forum I have seen. I have a 1997 328is and its seems the car is emitting excessive white smoke lately. It damn cold here, so I am not sure if its the weather or something else. Can anybody please tell me about any warning signs or things that I can check. Thanks a bunch :driving :driving :driving

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
good thing its not a gray smoke.

im not an auto mechanic, but my guess would be it is normal since you said the weather is very cold. is the smoke really really thick? as in, it builds up real quick, or is it just a little bit.

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
blue/grey smoke is buring oil.

A white puff in cold weather is a reaction of the hot vapors being expelled into a colder atomosphere.

·
Registered
49 Posts
how many miles do u drive your car if you dont travel more than 5miles per trip say like your work is only a mile away the car doesnt heat up right and u can continue to do this condensatiob builds up in the exhaust thats why its smokin travel a couple of long distance like 20 30 miles get out and look at the exhaust it will be no smoke.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey, I'm from Montreal and I recently noticed the same thing from my 98' 328i. The car is performing like normal but the exaust is a little excessinve. I'm guessing its the cold wheather too.

·
ex owner/admin
10,839 Posts
Originally posted by gman@Dec 10 2003, 09:14 AM
Hey, I'm from Montreal and I recently noticed the same thing from my 98' 328i. The car is performing like normal but the exaust is a little excessinve. I'm guessing its the cold wheather too.
very normal , it gets better as the car warms up and has been running for a while, its been cold as hell in toronto the last week and mine does the same thing. youlll see its not that bad, compare it to another car it will be near the same

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
all it is condensation in ur exhuast pipe.. it goes away when your pipes warm up

·
Registered
263 Posts
i experience the same problem, since i live in san francisco, which is known to have the most weirdest weather in the world. it should be normal since you mentioned that it was cold. you should only start worrying if you see blue or black smoke.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts