BMW Werkz banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Engine/Transmission Problems

A little bit of Background:

My Car is a 99 E46 323i equipped with a slushbox. A few weeks ago I received my DMV registration renewal and it basically stated that I needed to smog my car. On Sunday I pulled out my ECIS intake and put the stock one in and DE-Sharked my car (Conforti software removed and stock software put back in). After my car was de-sharked the check engine light went on. I reinstalled the Conforti software and the light is still on. I pulled out my Peake Reasearch R5 FCX and scanned the car for fault codes. No faults. I used the option to reset my engine light and the light never reset. On Wednesday I took my car to my mechanic who had a Modic. We scanned the car and the Modic implied that there was a bad connection on the CAN-BUS (Both wires) connecting from the DME to Transmission Control Unit in the E-BOX. We checked and double checked all connections and everything was fine. The transmission light came on after I got the car checked and there were no faults for that but it does clunk when shifting from 1st to 2nd gear.

A few questions...

Why would the engine light switch on and why can't we reset it?

Does my transmission seem f*cked?

Why did the check engine light switch on after the car was de-sharked?

Any ideas on what I should do next? I have smog check due in 3 weeks and my check engine light is still on :gay :gay :gay :gay :gay :gay

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Man are ride's are picky at times..throw a PM to 'EXtech' and see if he can post up some help..

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Another reason to do a 5 speed swap

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update:

Talked to the dealer today...

Although my appointment isn't till next week... It seems like a faulty control unit and or old software... $125 to diagnose....

:cya :cya :cya

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
UPDATE!!!

I am so screwed...

The STEALER was charging $2700 to replace the DME and EGS. After talking to my independent mechanic they're charging a few bucks to program the DME and EGS... I can acquire the DME/EGS through other sources (currently checking salvage yards and trying to find the best wholesale prices).

$1500 or less sure beats $2700 though...

I hate going to the stealer...

I almost died laughing when some guy paid $1500 to do an inspection II on his E38...

Anyways End Rant...

Any suggestions on where to find the best wholesale or used pricing on DME's and the EGS???

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
call maximillian dude

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
hey l337 i can see what i can do for you

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by Fruityone@Sep 18 2003, 11:58 PM
hey l337 i can see what i can do for you
Thanks Alan I appreciate it It's A GS20 model for the EGS and the DME is a siemens MS 42.0 let me know if you need more specs.

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
freaking bump :pissed2

·
Registered
3 Posts
need help as well

My car is not going into 3rd gear. 1997 328i-sedan-Auto

Diagnosis: Fault is the 1th fault to be detected. Output-speed-sensor signals not sent or too high a level of slip in the gearbox.

Needs
1. EGS 8.34
Hardware #: 23
Diagnosis index: 40
Bus index 20

Question: Is this the same as a EH Gearbox switch? $55.00?

2. DME MS41.1
Program control module:1438067
Basic control module 1437806
Hardware # 11
software #60
diagnosis index:30
Bus index: 21
Siemens
Type approval number 1430251

Question: What part number do I quote when ordering this part? How difficult is it to find this part cheaply? Is this a component that needs REPROGRAMMING ONLY.....or am I doing this trail and error to find problems.

And what is a diagnosis index#???

The STEALER wants $2800 but I think its only a computer electronic problem which should cost about $300 to fix for parts???

DOES ANYONE HAVE A SUGGESTION? I DO NOT WANT TO DO A TRANNY OVERHAUL

Thank you guys:help

1 - 13 of 13 Posts