BMW Werkz banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:wave Hi Guys (and Gals).......

I have just brought a 318i 1994 E36 Saloon.... But i want a faster engine.... Its great for Motorway use but of the mark is a little poor!!!!!!

I have thought about the easist thing to do at the moment is to increase the bore to make it about 1960cc (??) but will it really make that much of a difference?

Other then that my next alternitive is to swap the engine.... but what will need to be changed..... ie engine loom, ECU..... blah blah.... Any engine will do, prob just a 2L 16v......

cheers

Taz :pissed2

·
ex owner/admin
10,839 Posts
hi taz welcome. try finding a used 325 engine, the power increase will be considerable compared to a 318. you can also find them relatively cheap.
you need to change practically everything up to and including the suspension to compensate for the weight increase, as well as the exhaust system because the manifold will be different.

try to find a full engine and tranny set, with ecu, harness etc.

·
Registered
50 Posts
that sounds like fun

i've always played around with the idea of a full M3 318

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
Originally posted by Furious@Jan 8 2004, 10:47 AM
hi taz welcome. try finding a used 325 engine, the power increase will be considerable compared to a 318. you can also find them relatively cheap.
you need to change practically everything up to and including the suspension to compensate for the weight increase, as well as the exhaust system because the manifold will be different.

try to find a full engine and tranny set, with ecu, harness etc.
the 2.5l is not worth the labor and shit..go with 3.0 or 3.2

·
Registered
29 Posts
........i'd say, take your car to a dealership that has a 325i sitting on the lot, trade your 318 in for it, and pay the difference, you'll save MONEY, TIME, and LABOR!!!

............if you want to keep you're car, but have pockets deep enough for an engine swap, i'd say, maybe try a custom turbo setup on your 318.......these are the cross-roads i'm at, now...............

·
Registered
15 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts