BMW Werkz banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:wrench
1995, 85k miles, auto trans 525i: Temp gauge redlined on wife. I drove it home suspecting thermostat failure and thought I broke it loose. Replaced theromstat. Problem continued. Heater not working properly. Left mech-shop after replaceing radiator and temp gauge redlined @ 80 mph. Just prior to redline, heater started blowing cool air into cabin.

WASSUP?

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
your heater core may be broken internally. which would cause a problem keeping the coolant pressurized. it would need to be changed

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
lwebbs on the right path.. could very well be the core. do your windows fog up at all when the cars on?

if not then open your rad i bet your low on coolant or someone from the shop carlessly forgot to put enough antifreeze in the car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I took it back to the shop this morning. Technician suspects the thermostat wasn't installed properly. His plan for today is:

1. Verify thermostat installation

2. Verify system pressure level constant - bleed off air

3. Verify the impeller of h20 pump is functional.

Wish me luck.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
good luck :deal

·
Registered
82 Posts
If you are not losing coolant, check the heater valve. This is often overlooked. It can cause overheating if it malfunctions. This will also give you no heat in the car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts