BMW Werkz banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 91 e34 started out this morning with a rough idle. It would fall below 1000 rpms then jump up to normal again. it would do it at red lights as well. I made it to work now it will not stay running. the car will start for a second then die. it has a strong gas odor as well. any ideas im stranded. icv maybe?

· Registered
1,493 Posts
my 91 e34 started out this morning with a rough idle. It would fall below 1000 rpms then jump up to normal again. it would do it at red lights as well. I made it to work now it will not stay running. the car will start for a second then die. it has a strong gas odor as well. any ideas im stranded. icv maybe?
easy things first. check air filter(replace as necessary)
clean out MAF - brake cleaner will suffice
if u can access the throttle body, clean that out as well;
then yes, ICV (can be cleaned out with brake cleaner as well)

Good luck

· Registered
1,493 Posts
engine degreaser... NO.

brake cleaner, carb cleaner, or MAF sensor cleaner only, follow it up with compressed air will be a nice touch if available.

strong gas smell. is an indication of lack of air to engine... or engine flooding.

if it still gives you probs. pull out 1 plug and tell me the condition.

black? wet? dry?

· Registered
1,493 Posts
recheck your work.

Pay especially close attention to the connectors that you pulled when you took the parts down for cleaning.

make sure the air boots fir properly and clamped on tight so there are no air leaks.

if after that you still have probs. pull out a couple spark plugs 1 & 4 or 2 & 5... describe to me the condition.

wet? dry?
color.....of plugs.

let me know...

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Finally had time to pull the plugs and they were deff. the prob they looked like they had been in the car for at least 100k and they were the cheapest thing on the market. They were black and 2 had no gap left.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.