BMW Werkz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi... and Help!
I have a 2006 M Sport 530d touring on 96,000 miles and about a week ago a warning light came on saying something like "Warning - increased emissions". The car had felt a little hesitant prior to this, and fuel economy was suffering (wouldn't get better than 30mpg even on a run).

My local garage wiped out the fault codes but 2 days later the engine management warning light came on again. Since then its behaviour has been very erratic; after the codes were reset again, I drove it hard to try to get them to reappear and it pulled like a train but was making a whistling noise. On opening the bonnet some oily fumes were visible leaking from the drivers side of the engine (lh side as you look at it from the frt)so clearly there's some sort of pipe or hose failure...

Next day it started but was completely gutless - felt like the turbo wasn't running at all. I drove it about 25miles and by the time I got there and it had warmed up the fault had gone and it was performing normally, albeit with poor fuel economy. And no whistling noise. Then the warning light returned so I took it to the garage to get the codes read again and the following came up:

3FF1 Mass Air Flow Meter
3F35 Turbo Monitoring
4530 Turbo Monitoring
480A Diesel Particulate Filter

Then I drove it c90 miles. It was intermittently gutless and then normal again and fuel economy poor - 26mpg. About half way to my destination another warning light came on - this time for the Particulate Filter.

My local garage are really just servicing and repair and don't seem to want to tackle it... does anybody have any ideas
a. what the real fault is rather than just the symptoms
b. where to go in cheshire/greater manchester uk where I won't get ripped off and they know what they're talking about
c. what its likely to cost... gulp!

I've read several threads here and elsewhere that point to DPF as a possible culprit... but then there's the intermittent total lack of power, the whistling and the fumes leaking under the bonnet - which to my uneducated mind suggest another cause and the problems with the DPF as a symptom... turbo? But then there's no turbo fault code and when it was first checked the main fault code that appeared was for the Mass Air Flow meter...

Help/advice/suggestions most gratefully received...

Andy

·
Registered
29 Posts
E60 is a complex car. At least two choices:

1. Find a well respected indy garage that specializes in late model BMWs.
or
2. Spend a few $$ and get local dealer to run some diagnostics.

·
4DoorWhore
2,208 Posts
Most likely you have an vacuum leak somewhere. Thats the most common.

Pop the acoustic cover off the engine and have a look at the boost pipe connections
1. where the boost pipe comes off the turbo
2. Where the boost pipe goes into the intercooler
3. off the intercooler again
4. where it connects onto the throttle housing.

On the latter two leaks are obvious as there will be soot deposits nearby. First two aren't so obvious.

E60 is a complex car. At least two choices:

1. Find a well respected indy garage that specializes in late model BMWs.
or
2. Spend a few $$ and get local dealer to run some diagnostics.
Not sure the point of you posting this. He DID go to a garage for diagnostic work. Read before you post, or dont post at all.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Most likely you have an vacuum leak somewhere. Thats the most common.

Pop the acoustic cover off the engine and have a look at the boost pipe connections
1. where the boost pipe comes off the turbo
2. Where the boost pipe goes into the intercooler
3. off the intercooler again
4. where it connects onto the throttle housing.

On the latter two leaks are obvious as there will be soot deposits nearby. First two aren't so obvious.

Not sure the point of you posting this. He DID go to a garage for diagnostic work. Read before you post, or dont post at all.
Yes, mother.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi... and Help!
I have a 2006 M Sport 530d touring on 96,000 miles and about a week ago a warning light came on saying something like "Warning - increased emissions". The car had felt a little hesitant prior to this, and fuel economy was suffering (wouldn't get better than 30mpg even on a run).

My local garage wiped out the fault codes but 2 days later the engine management warning light came on again. Since then its behaviour has been very erratic; after the codes were reset again, I drove it hard to try to get them to reappear and it pulled like a train but was making a whistling noise. On opening the bonnet some oily fumes were visible leaking from the drivers side of the engine (lh side as you look at it from the frt)so clearly there's some sort of pipe or hose failure...

Next day it started but was completely gutless - felt like the turbo wasn't running at all. I drove it about 25miles and by the time I got there and it had warmed up the fault had gone and it was performing normally, albeit with poor fuel economy. And no whistling noise. Then the warning light returned so I took it to the garage to get the codes read again and the following came up:

3FF1 Mass Air Flow Meter
3F35 Turbo Monitoring
4530 Turbo Monitoring
480A Diesel Particulate Filter

Then I drove it c90 miles. It was intermittently gutless and then normal again and fuel economy poor - 26mpg. About half way to my destination another warning light came on - this time for the Particulate Filter.

My local garage are really just servicing and repair and don't seem to want to tackle it... does anybody have any ideas
a. what the real fault is rather than just the symptoms
b. where to go in cheshire/greater manchester uk where I won't get ripped off and they know what they're talking about
c. what its likely to cost... gulp!

I've read several threads here and elsewhere that point to DPF as a possible culprit... but then there's the intermittent total lack of power, the whistling and the fumes leaking under the bonnet - which to my uneducated mind suggest another cause and the problems with the DPF as a symptom... turbo? But then there's no turbo fault code and when it was first checked the main fault code that appeared was for the Mass Air Flow meter...

Help/advice/suggestions most gratefully received...

Andy
Hi Andy,

Old post, but... Did you manage to find the problem?

I'm experiencing almost the same symptoms: Increased emissions engine light, whistling nois, fumes on drivers side...

I will be nice to know how to solve this...

Regards,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts