BMW Werkz banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
food for thought

having had a fair range of bmw's e30 2.3 -e28 2.0 -e34 2.0 -e39 2.8 and now e60 545.....i thought i had a gem.....mystic blue cream leather etc..
started having problems with i-drive,sat-nav,blue tooth cd player radio & the screen playing up intermitently......i found water in bottom of spare wheel well (not used due to runflats) after having crytical electronic system failure show up on i-drive screen whilst traveling in outside lane of motorway.......engine faltered, steering went tight etc...due to partial close down of electronic systems.....
being quiet handy with situations i bought a new control module,cleaned all connections dried out the well and found all items now were working....
the main $tealers said the new part needed to be mapped into the on-board computer...well if they service the vehicles they ought to know so i booked it in....the agent advised there may be a few hiccups as the mapping means any available programme upgrades will also be added but at times they do have issues with this up grade......quoted £150.00 + tax
after three attempts to complete work i am told that there is a problem with my m.a.s.c unit (audio controller) and if i want my car back functioning as it did before they touched it (all items working) it will cost me £2065.00 inc tax
this i declined at this time.....
i collected my car from them to find partial up-grade of software with the bluetooth and cd player not working....still debating how to approach BMW customer service without telling them what i think of their agents....
any and all constructive criticism welcome

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
unfortunately the dealership is not in the wrong. Sometimes during flash programming certain modules can have crashes and worst case scenario can even be corrupted to a unrecoverable state. It's not the dealerships fault, they do not write the software, the manufacturer does. I would call BMW customer relations for your area and ask them if they can do anything to help. Perhaps BMW engineering can assist by remotely attempting a reflash of the M-ASK. This would still involve a visit to the dealer but they may be able to recover the M-ASK and save you from paying for a replacement.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you for your reply.........sorry i should have said more but it was getting to be a life story......
the module was mapped in no problem..when the updates got to my audio controller it would no go past it... $tealer said fault with M-audio system controller... M.A.S.K unit
(it all worked before they touched it)
area BMW office tried remote download to correct the issue.they also failed. BMW office customer service approached by $tealer they replied sorry vehicle too old.
i feel that they could have/may have been able to rewind the programming back to original factory state.
perhaps wishful thinking
but as of now, i have not approached them myself due to the inability the be calm and collected over this issue.

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
There is no way to rewind the programing to its previous state. The M-ASK may have been starting to go out internally (with no symptoms showing yet) and the programming just pushed it over the edge. I understand your frustration. Unfortunately situations like this are unavoidable sometimes. This is one of the down sides to owning such a technologically advanced car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
THANK YOU DT for your comments....seems like this is going to be an expensive toy.

The mask unit (65126942522) has a slot into which i put the sat-nav disc (cd player cartridge is a seperate unit at the back of the glove box)
as i will have to replace this unit could i upgrade to a professional system, as opposed to the business unit fitted, or would that mean changing the screen and or other items?

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
Retrofitting Navi Professional would be a lot of work. Im not too familiar with Business Nav because its not available here however I know to retrofit Navi here in the US you would have to replace the screen with the larger screen.Install the CCC- navi computer, Install the Controller with Menu/voice buttons, run a Navi antenna wire fromt he front of the car to the back of the car along with a couple other wiring mods. Then when you are al done the car needs coding to make this all work along with a FSC enabling code from BMW to re-allow voice activation.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts