BMW Werkz banner

81 - 100 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
man...I am still trying to function thing...
but it just doesn't work...
do I have to go 19 first?
cuz no matter which one I go...
only 2.0 works...to test the gauges...
all others doesn't do anything...
BTW, we put the key to "ON" or "ACC"?

·
Registered
7 Posts
another tip/trick

If you have the V27 or V28 BMW firmware for the satnav, you already have the option of a 3d-view on your screen. The point is, you have to activate it. Go to "menu", enter "set" (settings) and in this view press the menu button and hold for 10 secs. Another (hidden) menu appears, there is the "perspective". You have to enter it and activate. After leaving this submenu and going back to the navi view when you choose the "map" and "view options", there you have three, not two anymore!
Best regards
Maciek

·
Registered
10 Posts
L337E46 said:
You can't. It's automatic climate control. I have been dealing with this issue for several years. Just switch it off when you start the car. It's as simple as pressing a button.
It's my understanding that you just leave this stuff alone. I asked the dealer about that "ac on" thing (even in the cold) and he said that the light is on (meaning the ac system is on standby) but the climate control only engages the compressor ONLY when it needs it.

I've had pretty good luck just leaving everything alone in AUTO and setting my temp.

·
Registered
10 Posts
L337E46 said:
Tips and tricks for your E46...

21. The suspension is designed to limit body dive under hard braking, instead the entire chassis dives evenly for stability.

27. As some of you may know, the BMW On-Board Computer (OBC) holds more functions than is documented, including a very nice instrument panel test. I managed to get a lot of this information from the web, but it was far from complete. Subsequently I asked my dealer for the missing info, but they could not provide the complete list either. Following is a list for the items I could find, they work in my car (E46 323i). I gather most of them also work in the E36 models. Who can tell what the missing entries represent (especially functions
9.1, 9.2 and 9.3 which are very mysterious)?

Instructions to access the hidden OBC functions:
1. Hold Trip Reset while turning ignition key to on position
2. OBC should show "Test"
3. Use Trip Reset to select function 19.0 that unlocks all the features
3. Wait for display to show "Off"
4. Depress Trip Reset for 1/4 second and release it
5. With no delay press Trip Reset several times to select one of the following function s

BMW E46 On-Board Computer (OBC) Hidden Codes
nr example description
1 Car Engine and cluster data
1.0 46nnn Chassis nr/VIN serial number (last 5 digits)
1.1 4nnn K-number
1.2 690236 Cluster Part #
1.3 045210 Coding (04)/diagnosis (52)/bus index (10)
1.4 1200 Week (12)/year of manufacture (2000)
1.5 09_160 Hardware (09) and software # (16.0) of cluster
1.6 Not used
1.7 04__44 CAN-version (04) KI-revision index (44)
2 (test) Cluster System Test - Activates the gauge drivers,
indicators and LEDs to confirm function
3 SI Data
3.0 1098 Used fuel in liters since last SI (Service Inspection)
3.1 0231 Periodic inspection days; elapsed days (since last SI)
4 Momentary Consumption
4.0 0145+ Instant fuel consumption - 0145=14.5 liters/100km
4.1 0018 Instant fuel consumption - 0018=1.8 l/Hour
5 Distance Gone Consumption
5.0 082 Average mileage; 082=8.2 liters/100km
5.1 0536 Calc. km to refuel (momentary distance to go)
6 Fuel Level sensor inputs in liters
6.0 109330+ Fuel level averaged; Left half sensor input=10.9 liters; Right sensor input=33.0 liters
6.1 0439+ Total tank level averaged; vlgs 6.0: 10.9+33.0=43.9 liters
6.2 0442+ Indicated value (44.2) and tank phase
7 Temperature and Speed
7.0 021+ Coolant/Engine temperature (2.1C)
7.1 130 Ambient/Outside temperature - chg met 5 pts. 125/130/135
7.2 + Engine speed / Current RPMs 1/min
7.3 + Vehicle speed / Current Speed in km/hour
8 Input value in HEX form
8.0 1d0+ System voltage ADC-Value Hex code
8.1 26C33C+ ADC Values HG left/HG right
8.2 0000 ADC Value brake degradation sensor (000=o.k.)
8.3 18C ADC Value outside temperature
9 Battery
9.0 140 Battery Voltage - 140 = UB 14.0v
9.1 242013+?
9.2 074_78+?
9.3 0011+?
10 Not used
11 Not used
12 Not used
13 GonG Gong Test
14 Not used
15 Status cluster I/O-ports (bit codes) 0=low; 1=high
1st-belt contact, seat belt fastened=0; 2) ignition lock contact, key inserted=0; 3) door contact, door open=0; 4) clock button pressed=0; 5) SI reset=0, for reset=0; 6) EGS transmission failure=0
Status Digital Outputs (bits) 0=inactive, 1=active
1) Gong output; 2) Brake warning lamp; 3) Low fuel warning lamp; 4) EGA lamp; 5) seat belt lamp; 6) manipulation dot
16 Not used
17 Not used
18 Not used
19 Lock Status; unlocks functions in range 3-18
19.0 L-On/L-Off Unlock: press button when "L-Off"
20 Not used
21 Software Reset; reset OBC settings
00 End of test

ALL TIPS courtesy of Ownster.com and E46fanatics

Hi all,

i have a 2003 325ci and i am having difficulties unlocking these hidden features, when i press the trip reset button while turning the key to 2, the display reads test in the top left along with the time and in the top right it reads 1.0. then after 1sec it reads a code where test use to be. When i press the trip reset the number only goes to 1.7, then it goes back to 1.0, i can not go to 9.1 like it says to do in the instructions.

And also i dont understand 21. what does it mean by the body drives evenly.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Hootie said:
Untrue. There now exist aftermarket systems that allow you to do just that. Bavarian Auto has such a system.
Mine roll up if I hold the lock button on the remote. It is a stock feature. I have a EUROPEAN 2001 E46.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Engine stop while driving

Hi all,

I have an automatic 2000 328ci. In the last two weeks the engine would stop, while it was being driven, at least once or twice a week. The first times it happen when I press the gas after the traffic light turn green. Other time happen when taking a turn at a light, or right in the middle of the turn.
The car's power would go out. After putting the car on Park, I had no problem starting it up again.

Does anyone familiar or heard about this problem? Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

Thanking you in advance for your comments and suggestions.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Wow this is some amazing info, especially for a new BMW owner like myself. Thanks for the awesome write up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Stability Control

Thanks for the tips. I was trying to figure out how to do launch control in my car, because I got spanked by a Hemi Ram the other day, which was very embarrassing when you spend $40,000 dollars on a car that is supposed to be pretty quick. So you hold the triptronic shifter down and hold in the ASC and it will hold the revs until you launch? That us fricken awesome, but how hard is it on the transmission? Please let me know, because I refuse to be beaten by a redneck truck again!

Thanks Again,
uctke502

·
Registered
7 Posts
Launch Control

I tried this trick today, and could not get it to work. Does it actually work? Has anyone else gotten it to work? I would really like to try it, but I can't figure out how to. I tried, but had no success. If someone has any tips, please let me know.

Thanks,
uctke502

Thanks for the tips. I was trying to figure out how to do launch control in my car, because I got spanked by a Hemi Ram the other day, which was very embarrassing when you spend $40,000 dollars on a car that is supposed to be pretty quick. So you hold the triptronic shifter down and hold in the ASC and it will hold the revs until you launch? That us fricken awesome, but how hard is it on the transmission? Please let me know, because I refuse to be beaten by a redneck truck again!

Thanks Again,
uctke502

·
Registered
884 Posts

Thanks Again,
uctke502
If you read the other posts, I'm pretty sure it only works with the M3 SMG.

·
Registered
16 Posts
A couple of bits of info. When you start the car, the climate control does what it was doing when you last switched off, so to stop it coming on first thing, turn it off just before you stop the engine, or leave it and it will continue.
The rear windows on a coupe do not close from the remote key when you press and hold lock, but the front windows and roof close. They will open with all the others when you press and hold unlock. However, they do close with the others when you turn and hold the key to lock the car using the lock in the door. This is because there is no safety switch that will stop it if anything obstructs it as it is closing, like there is on the front windows and roof. The idea is that you are the safety control and will let go if anything gets in the way.
Both of these work on mine, (a 2000 323Ci coupe) along with most of the excellent usefull info in the rest of this thread, big vote of thanks to all.

81 - 100 of 119 Posts