BMW Werkz banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new here and i would like to recieve some advise (help). I have just bought an E39 525D (year 2001) and strangely after the purchase my mechanic told me that the car have a 525dts. Problem: the speedometer and fuel consumption indicators are not working. I want to know if its because the car is imcompatible with the 525dts engine? Please help guys

·
Help from over the pond
3,239 Posts
The speedo works off a sensor sometimes located at the diff or rear wheels, so no a different engine will not make a difference, I woukd pull the cluster and check the connections at the back/chaeck fuses/ could be the speed sensor frazzled out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
heyyy

thanks for the reply man...i appreiate that a lot. But do you have any idea about why the fuel consumption indicator led is off?? Everything is on except that...might it cause of another engine?? and do you know what problems i might have when a 525tds engine is on a 525d car??

·
Registered
66 Posts
The wipers will only work on full speed when the speed sensor is down.

The function of normal speed wipers going to intermittent speed as the car is stopped is lost when the speed sensor is not giving a signal.

So to confirm the sensor is at fault or most likely does not have a good connection test your wipers.

As Marti5 posted the engine change will have nothing to do with the fault.

The fuel consumption 'led' most likely off as it needs a speed signal to determine speed/mileage covered to compute any results.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,

I could not investigate further for my speedoter problem cause i ended with a more serious problem, the hot start one. But now i solved it. But my speedometer problem is still here. I have been told that the signal comes from the Speedsensor from rear driver's wheel to the ABS Module, then to Cluster. Now, i was told by my mechanic that that my problem was due to engine change as thery have changes lots of wires in my car to fit the new engine which is a older version (525tds)...the car had orignally 525d engine. I know this is complicated but i want to know where does the Speed Sensor wire go to?? where can i find it. Can i connect it directly to my Cluster. Some says that my ABS module is bad...i tried disconnect it...normally....3 lights must come on when u disconnect it but i could only see ABS light on my cluster....when i disconnected my ABS module...does this mean module is bad??? I have pulled back the cluster...all wired ok there...i have tested the Cluster...all wipers work perfectly....(any place to check fuses?? if lcuster wipers work...this means fuses ok right??) PLEASE help guys...i REALLY WANT MY SPEEDOMETER TO WORK.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts