BMW Werkz banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone please help me! I have a 1997 BMW 528 that I LOVE and had a very strange issue yesterday. In the morning my car started to overheat so I pulled over checked the upper/lower radiator hose no leaks nor any leak from the radiator. Let the car sit for 10 minutes, then it was fine for the next 5 hours. Later in the day same problem. I let the car sit and this time I could only drive for about 1/4 mile before I had to kill the engine. I did this for a couple miles then called a tow truck. When the tow truck dropped my car the behicle wouldnt start at all. The accesory lights came on but nothing from the started. A jump wouldnt work either. I thought my thermostate or water pump was the issue but now I am worried its something much greater like a head gasket? Could I have seized the car? I killed the engine every time it reached a certain point. Also the belt is in tact. Anyone have any thoughts I would greatly appreciate it....
Steve

·
Help from over the pond
3,239 Posts
You will have to remove the spark plugs, then get a socket on the bottom crankshaft wheel nut and see if the engine turns, make sure its in 'N'

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
When you overheated, you reloaded coolant... BUT you did not bleed the cooling system and purge it of air bubbles/pockets trapped inside the engine. The bleeding process is a must for every bimmer, and air in the cooling system generates steam which the car reads as "overheat".

Confirm also that your engine did not blow a head gasket. check ur oil level... if it is abnormally high or "coffee n cream' in consistency and color... then that means that oil and water are mixing in ur system.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts