BMW Werkz banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 01 530i has a hard to locate oil leak. I looked at it today. I removed the skid gaurd, and the upper engine covers. The valve cover gasket appears not to be leaking, and the leak appears to be higher than the oil pan. It looks like it is coming from the side of the engine with the intake manifold on it, however the manifold blocks a good view of the engine. Any suggestions on common leaks in that area. I know its not real specific, and there are some oil lines that run in that area, but i am pretty new to BMWs and the issues that are common with them. I have Mechanic training, however most of my Mechanic training was on Toyota vehicles. For the record the Supra is easier to work on than the 530i.

thanks,
mike

· Registered
1,493 Posts
the only way you can do this is clean out all the oil traces in your engine.

I would take a couple cans of brake cleaner and clean out that area where u see the leak. the run the engine. D'uh the highest point where the leak starts will of course be the cause of your prob.

Makes it easy to trace that way :)

· Registered
13 Posts
it should be your OIL FILTER HOUSING GASKET bmw part# 11421719855

check this link: RealOEM.com Online BMW Parts Catalog

type your car info. and search parts. there are some really good write ups to do it. it is a 5 of 10 wrench job.

search this forum and bimmerforums.com "oil filter housing"

all of the inline sixes have this gasket and is common in the e39 and e46

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.