BMW Werkz banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive got a large evap leak on my 1997 E39 535i... Any idea where the best place is to start looking for this ?

·
Help from over the pond
3,239 Posts
Is it a little leak or major, is the CE light on? there are two possibilities either the fuel cap or the charcoal canister, please be aware I'm only going from passed experience, do you have any diagnostic codes?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it a little leak or major, is the CE light on? there are two possibilities either the fuel cap or the charcoal canister, please be aware I'm only going from passed experience, do you have any diagnostic codes?
Cheers for the reply Marti.

Well according to Autoenginuity it came up as - FE , EVAP Large Leak Detected

·
Help from over the pond
3,239 Posts
Okay...Its not the cap then, I would go for the charcoal canister, so do you have a light on?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No light on.. That's something else I need to look at as when I turn ignition on I would of thought it would of done a self check like it does with ASC and airbag light but no check engine light

·
Help from over the pond
3,239 Posts
If there's no light on and the cars running A1 I wouldnt worry about it until the car starts playing up...you can change the canister if you wish.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well the car runs fine up to 60mph over that and it runs like a pig.. Hence the reason I plugged it into my laptop and got the fault

·
Registered
15 Posts
As stated above the charcoal cannister is a good place to start--there is a vacuum pump thats attached to it--when it's called upon it runs a test by putting vacuum into the system--when the vacuum does not hold--then it throws a code. Now the vacuum pump is attached with a rubber gromet that can fail where it all seals up--you could have a leak there--thats a common spot to check. Go to real.com and enter the last 7 digits of your vin number and then check around for what I am referring to for your model--there will be diagrams of the parts and how they go together --along with part numbers --just in case you find what your looking for.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Purchased a Charcoal canister and will be fitting it this weekend... Will post if this cures my problem.

·
Ich bin der Modifikator
3,323 Posts

·
Help from over the pond
3,239 Posts
Sorry to hear the canister change didnt work.....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OK folks, Time for an update :

Changed Canister and still same problems

Changed all the seals on the manifold and still same problem... Car seems to run fine at low speeds its just when you give it some right foot then it starts playing up.. Feels like its missing and has no power.

Anybody got any more ideas ?

And where is the location of the vacuum pump.

Many thanks to everybodys input :thumbs

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
large EVAP leak... i would check my gas cap. a bad fitting gas cap or deteriorated seal will cause that. Yours is a '97... that is a very possible problem source.

2nd line of suspicion is a rubber hose in the filler or return system gone bad.

Either way... EVAP problems unless they cause a leak in the intake manifold(i.e. solenoid stuck open) will have NO BEARING on engine performance.

TIP: if your auto-enginuity(nice diagnostic software, btw) isnt throwing any other codes... then i would say limit your search to the rubber hoses in and around the gas tank ;)

Easy way. To eliminate problems in and around the tank area. fill your tank to FULL. If there are any leaks in the hoses... gas will flow and you have found your prob.

If no leaks... then follow the lines from tank to engine ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts