BMW Werkz banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys! first post for me, happy to be here!

I'm buying a 540i soon but i want to know one thing:
The 523i that i have now which has been lowered and is on sports suspension is one of the best handling cars i have driven, its like its on rails! I'm wondering whether a 540i will handle as well as this does with the right mods?

·
Registered
918 Posts
It is the same car more or less minus the engine, so it should be able to handle the same with the same mods. Good to have you here. Good luck with the purchase!

·
42, The meaning of life
2,405 Posts
Welcome to the Werkz from a fellow Mexican. Good luck with the acquisition, and post some photos when you have a chance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice!

But what about the fact that the 523i has a much lighter front end and also rack and pinion steering as opposed to the 540i with just recirculating ball? I've heard the heavier V8 isn't as responsive and lively in the front end.
I'll post some pictures of my 523i soon.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
I like the fact that you're actually concerned about this, because most people just want bigger engines and don't consider the weight distribution and other things which impact handeling

·
42, The meaning of life
2,405 Posts
What suburb you from Hugzybear?
I have a Carsoft setup if you want to run a diagnostics sweep of the 540i before you commit to it.

·
Help from over the pond
3,239 Posts
Go for the 540i, much better car...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I like the fact that you're actually concerned about this, because most people just want bigger engines and don't consider the weight distribution and other things which impact handeling
I love my cars and i drive them for the pleasure of it (often quite hard) so the handling plays a huge part in my car buying decision hence my questioning the 540i's handling.

·
Help from over the pond
3,239 Posts
Nice looking car with a very unusual detail around the rims..nice.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hello hugzy,

I'm in melbourne also - have had my car about 12 mths - but must say i haven't seen your car around town before. I'm from Balwyn, next to Doncaster so not far from you.

What suspension setup are u using in the 523 and who did u get to do the work? I am looking at Koni Yellows coilovers with Eibach or Bilstein springs (not sure if they even bilstein even make springs) as I wan the car about 2" lower than standard and I have blown my front right shocker. Don't know much aout Euros as my last project was an R32 skyline, but am lookin forward to unlocking the potential of the I6.

Any advice would be appreciated, Cheers

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey NZM!
I don't drive my car too often as i have a work vehicle that's probably why you haven't seen me around!
I bought the car already lowered so no idea who did the work, but koni adjustable are probably the way to go because of the ability to change the dampening and ride height as you wish. Not so sure about the quality and lifespan though!
here is my email [email protected] if you want to catch up sometime and talk BMW's!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts