BMW Werkz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

after the nikasil saga with my 740i (See previous thread) The dealer has lined up a couple of cars to look at next week.
One is a very late e32 730i the other is a very early e38 730i. My question is which one would you go for there is about £750.00 difference in the price.

I know that the late e32 should have all the design flaws ironed out as it was one of the last produced but the e38 is a nicer looking car imho. However, because the e38 is one of the first produced I am concerned about early production issues etc.

Any one driven both and could give a comparative opinion..

Thanks in advance... :confused

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just ask yourself if the E38 is worth the extra £750 schmoolies. £750 buys a whole lotta tyres, insurance, servicing etc.

A '94 E38 typically sells for getting on for double a last of the line '94 E32 so if this one is only £750 more then be suspicious.

I wasn't prepared to pay more for the same age car so I went for the E32 which i think actually looks better - less of a Euro blob.

Also, what engine configuration do they each have? They could each be either straight 6 or V8. The straight 6 is the tougher unit and easier to work on but less powerful. Like for like, the E38 is no faster than a similarly engined E32.

Compare interiors thoroughly on each car. Some find the E38 a bit plasticky, especially the nasty plastic panels attached to the drivers seat to accomodate the controls. Others find the E32 a bit old fashioned, although I think :driving the '32 was slightly more spacious.

I think it comes down to economics and I can't see why a car the same age should be worth more purely because it is a later (and not necessarily better) model.

good luck,

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input, turns out that the E38 went over the weekend so it looks like I'll be going for an E32. the 740 I had was an E32 so I know how good they are. I agree the newer shape is a bit less distinctive, and I didn't know about the quality of the interior of the E38 so perhaps I'll stick with that hewn from granite feel with the earlier car. :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input.

However, due to a lack of staight 7 series in my price range being available I have cast my net a little wider. I'm going to look at a 93' e34 540i tommorrow. Fully loaded with good history and only 90k on the clock. Wish me luck!

Any body here had experience with this type? Any tips or ideas to look out for.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts