BMW Werkz banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone swapped out their stock e36 radio for a Kenwood head unit?

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
My car has a old school Kenwood head unit that the previous owner installed...

He told me it was a 96 model and at the time was TOP of the LINE... I have the original receit for something like 600$....

The thing IMO sucks but it shines AMBER so it matches the rest of the lighting B) ...
Also when I start the ignition the thing mechanically pops out of a stealth casing thingy. so when i turn the car off it looks like I have no unit!!!

My friend just spend 5000$ on a entertainment system for his car so right now I am feeling like I anything I buy in-terms of sound equipment will not be good enough so im keeping the stereo as is for now!

·
Registered
569 Posts
i installed the eclipse unit in my 325i and the other day i did my friends 318ti

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1) Do any of those head units connect to the stock CD changer?

2) Do they use the stock speakers and amp?

I'm trying to compile some information for a possible radio upgrade here.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
1) i don't know
2) i don't know

·
Registered
569 Posts
no the eclipse does not work with your stock cd changer...in most cases most aftermarket companies radios will not work with the stock cd changer...now on the amp and speaker question as far as i know and aftermarket radio works fine with the stock stuff, in my car the speakers have all been replaced with aftermarket components and in my friends 318ti everything was stock...installed 2 kicker 10 inch subs and a kicker 300 watt amp i sold him from the shop and it sounds very nice in that hatchback!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts