BMW Werkz banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Ich bin der Modifikator
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So.... as you know I have been contemplating this for a while now & was ready to dive in & just do it......I researched threads & found a couple of DIY's......but they were for OBD I vehicles......the end results were good with no CEL's......

ZF 5-speed Maual Transmission

LINKS:
CONVERSION PROGRESS

Zionsville Autosport: BMW E36 Six Speed Conversion Manual

Also, found used swap kits available for both OBD I & II.....

M52 Kit costs about $1,200 plus $150.00 shipping plus the new stuff.....clutch assembly, shift kit, etc.

BMW E36 M52 5 speed Transmission Conversion Kit 328i M3 : eBay Motors (item 150406913623 end time Feb-18-10 07:59:40 PST)

Parts Photos

with further research, I found out that with the OBD II........ CEL's.......are a problem!

I contacted Turner Motorsports & they said they could reprogram the DME from Auto to Manual Trans mode...2 hours labor @ $95......
& the car would have to be there......5 hour drive from NJ to Amesbury, Massachusetts.......so I'm going to see if I could find someone local to do the reprogramming!

So, I will have to think about this a little more & I have time, because the fundage is coming from my Income tax return.....which will come in March or April........

So, if you want to encourage me to do this.......feel free to do so!

jb :)

Attachments

·
Millions of them.
14,879 Posts
^I would also do this ... search craigslist around you; you can probably find a wrecked car etc

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi i have a 1997 bmw 328is i am going to swap it to a 5 speed could some one help me
with the reverse light and start up switch i need step by step pics of it being done ill
will pay or donate $100 if you can help me.

·
Ich bin der Modifikator
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Started my Auto to ZF 5 Speed Manual Swap!

Picked up my donor car about a month ago, for my 5 Speed Manual Swap......along with diff.

Car was completely stripped, basically except for the clutch pedal assembly with switches, 5 speed S5D...Z trans, Short shifter, Trans mount, drive shaft, rear diff & CV axles......

Car before it was stripped:

Car was purchased for $700.00 after it was stripped: On it's way to my house for my next project!

finished stripping the donor car for my 5 Speed swap.......

I have been busy ordering all new seals, clutch & pressure plate, bearings, ZHP weighted shift knob, Shift boot, new guibo, shifter bushings, shift pin kits.......etc.

johnny :eek:hnoes

·
Ich bin der Modifikator
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cleaned trans & diff, replaced all the seals in my ZF 5 Speed & Diff. Input, Output, & Gear rod selector. Replaced trans & diff. fluid with Red Line fluids. Also, replaced all the shift pins & bushings with kits from BMW......

·
Ich bin der Modifikator
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Today, I continued into my quest of doing my ZF Manual trans swap. I removed the under dash panels, glove box & center console!

·
Registered
1 Posts
questions

called turner motorsports today in amesbury mass.they said they could not change a auto ecu to manual by flashing it .tulley bmws foreman said the same thing.he told me to buy a manual ecu.then they could align it with the cars other computer.i forget the name?so now i wonder if the abs will work.isnt that part of the trans computer.bimmers are very difficult to mod.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've got the same thinig going, except my friend owns the part car and is gonna sell me the whole manual driveline...the only problem i can forsee is his is a 325i and mine is a 323iS. should i be concerned?

·
Ich bin der Modifikator
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've got the same thinig going, except my friend owns the part car and is gonna sell me the whole manual driveline...the only problem i can forsee is his is a 325i and mine is a 323iS. should i be concerned?
Not exactly sure, what are the years...you can cross reference all the major components using the link below: just open 2 & compare!

RealOEM.com Online BMW Parts Catalog

johnny~

·
4DoorWhore
2,208 Posts
The driveshaft lenth is the same. The gearing in the differential is different in a Manual, but the housing is the same. Get an M3 diff if you can, as their geared better. 3.15 LSD i think.

·
Registered
27 Posts
mine is a 99 e36 323is his is a 97 325i. sorry my reply took forever ive been workingg like a mofo. now he's not even sure he wants to part it out anymore. anyone know someone parting out an e36 withh a 2.5L?

·
4DoorWhore
2,208 Posts
Check your local Craigslist or other free ad sites. Ive seen a few parts cars come up for sale.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts