BMW Werkz banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i sell my e36 325i I have a few different routes I might take...One choice I was thinking of was taking an e30 and swapping in an e36 m3 engine? Does anyone know how costly this is and what all I am facing?

·
Registered
27 Posts
It's not too bad, as long as you stick with an OBDI m3 motor. Basically, all you need is the motor & tranny with wiring, a different oil pan, different motor mounts, custom made exhaust, and a few other small items. If you know what you're doing, you can do the conversion in a weekend. Let me know if you have any other specific questions.

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
or a OBD2 s52 converted to OBD1...300hp roughly

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did some research and the project would be out of my budget...Would be a very very badass swap, but by the time I get down to the swap, wheels, suspension, paint, etc it gets a little out of my reach!

·
Registered
20 Posts
anyone ever take an engine and tranny out of a 540 or 740 and cram it into a 325? the older BMW V8 cars are cheap, would be a fun project.

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Actuallly, recently on forums, this guy posted a pic of his 325i, and he put the new 750iL 12 cylinder engine in it, he said it costs 'cubic dollars', I have no idea what that means other then a lot.Latazz...

Attachments

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
Originally posted by AJ's320i+Feb 7 2004, 02:08 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (AJ's320i @ Feb 7 2004, 02:08 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-spiff325is@Feb 7 2004, 02:15 PM
he said it costs 'cubic dollars',
LOL I'm going to have to remember that phrase :D

This guy put the E36 M3 motor in his car, here is the video of the end product :blink:

http://www.maxbimmer.com/videos/videos/randy02.mpg [/b][/quote]
you know that car got stolen? :nope

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
I dont remmeber the link, you might be able to find it in the past pages, I think the topic was "post dirty pics of your car", and there were like 5 pages or something, I know that there were atleast 2 pages in the the topic.

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Dude, that link doesnt work, and I tried a search, and just this page comes up cuz I said those words (cubic dollars)

·
Registered
169 Posts
Originally posted by e30m50BimmerMan@Jan 31 2004, 10:54 AM
It's not too bad, as long as you stick with an OBDI m3 motor. Basically, all you need is the motor & tranny with wiring, a different oil pan, different motor mounts, custom made exhaust, and a few other small items. If you know what you're doing, you can do the conversion in a weekend. Let me know if you have any other specific questions.
Why the different oil pan?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Originally posted by detour54+Feb 8 2004, 01:15 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (detour54 @ Feb 8 2004, 01:15 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-e30m50BimmerMan@Jan 31 2004, 10:54 AM
Why the different oil pan? [/b][/quote]
the e36 has the sump in different spot. On the e36, it's on the back of the motor, and thus the subframe is in the way. You have to switch it to a 5-series (e34) oil pan. It has the sump in the front.

I also noticed you guys were talking about Randy's e30. That was a monster. I saw it a few times. It had the e36 m3 engine, supercharged, nitrous. That car was amazing! Too bad it's gone. He's moved on to a GT2 now, so that's not too bad I guess.

(pic of engine before SC)

Attachments

·
Registered
169 Posts
Wow, a GT2?! How do these guys afford such expensive cars? Anyway, thanks for the clarification on the oil pan.

·
Registered
27 Posts
no prob.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts