BMW Werkz banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

i have a 318i and have blown the engine big time! is it possible to fit a 318is lump with little ease or is there a lot of things that i would have to change as well???

any replys and most thankful

calvs79

·
Millions of them.
14,879 Posts
Your "Cars" field says "e36 318i SE (M44)" ... if your car already has a m44, then swapping another one in it's place will be as simple as unbolting it and bolting the new one in; just make sure it's a m44 and not a m42 as the wiring is a bit different, though nothing too horrible.

·
Millions of them.
14,879 Posts
i think i have a m40 lump???
Yup either a m40 or a m43 is what you have.

Both the m42 and m44 are 16 valve motors (basically the 'is motors you are looking at swapping).

Out of those two, I would probably take the m44 if I had the choice (a bit more displacement and a bit more torque and it has a MAF instead of AFM).

As for the swap: I am not really sure if the 16v engines will bolt up to the transmission you have now (definitely something to look at), but aside from that since the e36 came with the motors you are looking at swapping in, you just need the basics: mounts, wiring harness and ecu. I can't imagine it being too difficult

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.