BMW Werkz banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, how goes it.

Ive recently taken on a project of turbo charging a friends 1986 E30 325e.

Everything was going well, until i was asked what i was going to be doing about the MAF and if i was going to be changing to a HFM?

Can you guys potentially help me out and tell me what a HFM is? Im a domestic guy that has a love for european cars, but i dont know about some of the products, like in this case, nor do i want to ruin the car due to my lack of knowledge.

The run down on the 325e:

Jim C chipped ECU(will need reprograming once the turbo goes in)
modified 524TD manifold
Garret T3 Super 60 turbo
Turbonetics Deltagate Mark 3
Vortech 12:1 FMU
MSD #2225 booster pump
DSM 410cc injectors
2.5" charge pipes
Autometer gauges(EGT, OPG, AF)
custom dual gauge pod
2.5" downpipe exhaust
removed cat/res
Spearco FMIC
blitz turbo timer/boost gauge
IS front bumper
Reigar(?sp) style side skirts
IS rear lip trunk spoiler(not installed/painted)
eibach pro kits
Sparco Front/rear Strut bars
17" Mille Miglia spydar wheels

there is prolly more that i cant remember, but if you guys can help me out i would greatly appreciate it.

ill post pics once im done. :)

Jas

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
well... from the sound of it your friend is malfunction.

e30s come with AFM, or Air Flow Meter, which is a big trap door which by the amount it opens calculates the fuel used. MAF is different.

By HFM the most i can get out of that is High Flow Meter which maybe is some term he made up for a bigger AFM.

Thats all i can offer. Good luck with your project

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Welcome to the forums fuzion!! B) :wave

·
Registered
178 Posts
HFM stands for "Hot Film Meter." An HFM is the same as a MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor.

Installing a HFM on an E30 is not a plug and play setup. You will need a calibrator such as a Split Second module. There are lots of setups you could run actually, it depends on what exactly you want and how much you want to spend.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
no no, you loose power unless you chip the engine first. BMW chips arnt adaptive.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts