BMW Werkz banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HEY everyone :)
I am hoping for some advise on a 1993 318i with the 1.8L (M42)
Months ago I replaced the plastic coolant fitting underneath the intake and ALL went well BUT now this same car keeps flashing trouble code #1223 and illuminates the "check engine" light :eek
I have access to AllDataPro and when through all the diagnostics including replaceing the computers tempurature sensor. I have tried removing the fuses and unplugging the DME to erase the code but it always comes back.
I only have domestic software for my scan tool but is there a secret to eraseing codes without a scan tool ? I though about removing the battery ground but I dont have the radio code.

The car does have drivability issues when cold so I am wanting to fix it but shudder at the thought of dealship intervention :eek:hnoes

I am definately a BMW NOOB :rule so any advise would be great

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So your scan tool domestic software doesn't help? I ask because you then wonder about secrets to erasing codes without a scan tool. I doubt the battery idea would help.
I have a SnapOn Modis and a MT2500 with current OBDII & CanBus & older domestic stuff as well but this year of BMW uses a propratary type plug and interface. There are common tricks for Domestics but I am definately not up to speed on older german stuff :teary

Just looking for any hints before I start useing the "replace with known good part" theory ..... which is not always successful

· Premium Member
14,769 Posts
1223 is definitely the coolant temperature sensor. And yes, a faulty one can definitely cause driveability issues. I'd replace it and have a shop that has a BMW scanner (or you can even borrow one from someone) reset the code. It's a 20 dollar part, and I'd bet money on you being able to find someone near you that has a correct tool to reset the light (if not, any shop that does have it will do it in 30 seconds ... and I really doubt they'd even charge you anything for it).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.