BMW Werkz banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently i have noticed (hard not to) that after driving for a period of time say 20 minutes+ that the clutch peddle in my cars starts to act funny i.e There is alot more resitence when trying to bring it to engagment and it also seems to make moving off in 1st and 2 gear alot more complicated and takes longer, also the car seems to stall a fair bit now if not using extra revs say upto 2000 which is a fair amount more than i use beforehand, Due to this i recently took the car to a garage and got the problem identfied as most likely being the clutch release arm due to the fact the Clutch kit and cable have recently been fitted. what i am really after is an answer to these questions

1.Should this problem affect acceleration in say 1st and even 2nd gear at low speeds (in the time clutch is being engaged)?
2.Why does it seem to make the car easier to stall
3.Any approximate cost on getting the problem fixed
4.What is the release arm?

Thank you very much in advance for your time :)

Also The only reason i can see myself with little experience is possibly expanding parts effecting the clutch.

·
Registered
6 Posts
howarddrick. I have attaced a link to help explain the working of a clutch. HowStuffWorks "How Clutches Work"
Usually clutch actuation is consistent and they either work or do not. If your engagement point is changing or the pedal pressure is becoming harder after 20 minutes of driving there is a problem somewhere. Unfortunately it is hard to diagnose over the internet and I can only speculate as to what it could be. I will try to answer your questions as asked.

1.if the clutch is engaging properly it should not affect acceleration. However, if the clutch is not engaging properly and possibly slipping, than acceleration will be affected.
2.I can only guess that the pressure plate friction surface is not lifting as far from the disc surface as when your peddle is ok, and when you start to egage the clutch it makes contact with the disc surface quicker causing you to stall the vehicle. This is only my theory.
3. The cost would depend on what exactly the issue is (parts) and what a mechanic would charge you for labor to repair.
4.The release arm is what connects to the release bearing and when the peddle is pressed down causing the bearing to slide and actuate the pressure plate to release from the disc.

Just because the clutch and cable have recently been replaced doesn't rule them out as the problem. They could have been installed incorrectly or It could be a faulty clutch assembly or one of the clutch components could be defective. The cable could be frayed inside and sticking or the cable bracket is flexing. Other issues such as the possibility of the throwout bearing binding on the guide tube may be the cause or even the clutch arm flexing or the pivot point worn. The bottom line is because this is an not a common issue that you are having and very odd, I dont have an exact answer for you as to what it could be and if it continues, eventually everything must be inspected to rule it out. Keep in mind that It may require the clutch assembly to be removed for complete inspection.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.