BMW Werkz banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an 01 530i and my driver seat and steering column stop working all together, i'm getting no responce from the memory recall buttons eather. i checked the fuses, there all fine. i'm trying to avoid taking to the shop, does anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a 1997 528i and the same thing happened to me. The wire connector on the driver's seat adjustment switch came loose because the seat cushion foam presses against it from getting in and getting out. I just reconnected the connector and it works great now. Somehow the steering wheel adjustment is tied into it and that works again too.

Good Luck

·
Help from over the pond
3,239 Posts
^ yep I would agree with that, although it may not be the connector just come adrift, it could be that a wire has been chaffed through or broken, if your passenger seat is not working it is the above, as the passenger seat will not work without the driver seat being plugged in.

·
Registered
8 Posts
i have an 01 530i and my driver seat and steering column stop working all together, i'm getting no responce from the memory recall buttons eather. i checked the fuses, there all fine. i'm trying to avoid taking to the shop, does anyone have any ideas?
yea, this has also happened to me. Check the connection behind the plastic panel on the left side of the drivers seat where the seat directional buttons are

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I checked the plug on the seat and it was loose i secured the plug and it started working. thanks for the help

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks a million man for this post...I have the same problem with my e38 and according to this post I am glad to say that the dealer didn't bend me over. I have been driving with the same seat and steering position almost a year now and got fed up with and decided to research it....the smart way first. I am tall as hell too and it sucked...but not any more..so Thanks..and having enough common sense to post the Solution and not just the Problem without the Solution...don't you hate that shit..

·
Registered
1 Posts
You guys are great, saved my time and money. I had same issue with my 2005 BMW 525i and I just fixed it. I just put my hand under the seat and tight all wire without even looking and after a minute my steering wheel and seat start working. Internet is great :).
thanks,

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same seat different issue

I need a little help.
I fixed a twisted back issue on my 93, 525i and it worked fine, tested it well.
then it just stopped working, back and seat. Passenger side works, so it is not a fuse, checked the switch by plugging it into the pass. side, works fine.
what am i missing?
also it is stuck in far forward position and I can't unhook the rail from the mounting hooks, so I can't take the seat out for troubleshooting.
HELP PLEASE.:facepalm

·
Registered
1 Posts
OK I just got my first BMW (1997 528I) after many Benz's and I am in LOVE! The dog did come with a few fleas...the power seats. The guy said a switch is bad . I tried to reconnect the seat he disconnected and this thing refuses to plug in...Some one tell me there is a trick to this and Im not crazy?

·
Registered
1 Posts
OK I just got my first BMW (1997 528I) after many Benz's and I am in LOVE! The dog did come with a few fleas...the power seats. The guy said a switch is bad . I tried to reconnect the seat he disconnected and this thing refuses to plug in...Some one tell me there is a trick to this and Im not crazy?
there is only one way it will plug in, you might be putting it in the wrong direction. also check for bent and dirty pins on both connectors before you connect it. this happened to me and it fixed the problem, now I need to fix the steering column, it wont work either, hope this helps

·
Registered
1 Posts
this thread is old but i'm at a loss and trying all avenues. I was in the process of changing the entire drivers seat because I couldn't get it to work electrically when I got stuck. Literally, I couldn't get to the bolts to remove the seat but I had a replacement seat so I did some troubleshooting, hooked up a power wheels battery to the new seat and it worked. So I tried the same with the installed seat and that was the first time I had ever seen it move. I forgot to check the steering column at the same time unfortunately.
Basically I've verified the seat functions, but its not receiving power. Fuses are all good. Any ideas where to look next would be appreciated.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts