BMW Werkz banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
if i have time, ill let her warm up to get the oil flowing, if not, i just drive away! :driving

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
i just drive away when i start it up, but i shift under 3k rpm until warmed up, even though i rarely shift above 3k at any time.

S

·
0 Posts
when its warming up i use the ///m3's warm up lights that tells me the highest i can shift at

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
I let her sit for about a minute, then drive away normal like.

S

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by GreenDragon@Jun 26 2003, 09:23 PM
that is basically what i do, i let the oil start to flow before i start to drive, and if you drive a turbocharged, and trigg, you better back me up, it is CRUCIAL to let the oil get flowing to the charged, in the winter, i let the S4 warm up to normal operating conditions, then drove it... :wub: :driving

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Originally posted by SpeedsterBMW+Jun 26 2003, 09:27 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (SpeedsterBMW @ Jun 26 2003, 09:27 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-GreenDragon@Jun 26 2003, 09:23 PM
that is basically what i do, i let the oil start to flow before i start to drive, and if you drive a turbocharged, and trigg, you better back me up, it is CRUCIAL to let the oil get flowing to the charged, in the winter, i let the S4 warm up to normal operating conditions, then drove it... :wub: :driving [/b][/quote]
That would make sense with a turbo charged engine. Considering you're supposed to let the turbos cool down before switching the engine off also.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Does it really matter too much? I mean what will happen to the car if you dont wait for it to get to a good temp?

S

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by cardio@Jun 26 2003, 10:21 PM
Does it really matter too much? I mean what will happen to the car if you dont wait for it to get to a good temp?
truth is, it DOESNT matter, and its just the preference of the owner.... :banghead

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Originally posted by SpeedsterBMW+Jun 27 2003, 08:15 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (SpeedsterBMW @ Jun 27 2003, 08:15 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-cardio@Jun 26 2003, 10:21 PM
truth is, it DOESNT matter, and its just the preference of the owner.... :banghead [/b][/quote]
Not really. A cold engine could drop more deposits into the oil, friction between moving parts that are not properly coated with warm oil could drop metal flakes into the oil causing larger problems. But these are just hypotheticals really.

I wish we had a memeber who was a BMW mechanic. Hey speed, you're supposedly really god friends with the owner of a BMW dealership. Next time your brownosing ...er ... playing golf with him see if you can get in good with one of the mechanics, get him on the board.

S

·
0 Posts
i actually have mentioned to him that he should stop by. But hes like 53 (yes, hes older then ski :lol: ) and im sure he has better things to do, but next time i get my car worked on, ill talk to someone there (a bit younger) ;)

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Originally posted by donutchow@Jun 26 2003, 05:04 PM
i just drive away when i start it up, but i shift under 3k rpm until warmed up, even though i rarely shift above 3k at any time.
HAHAHAH ROLF :laughhead: :laughhead: :laughhead: :laughhead:

S

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by RedTape+Jun 27 2003, 10:38 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (RedTape @ Jun 27 2003, 10:38 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-donutchow@Jun 26 2003, 05:04 PM
HAHAHAH ROLF :laughhead: :laughhead: :laughhead: :laughhead: [/b][/quote]
hes such a gas saver whore! if your so into saving gas, bmws are actually pretty good on gas, my bros 330 is a SULEV, and it gets better gas mileage then our old acura (similar powered cars)....

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Originally posted by GreenDragon+Jun 26 2003, 07:38 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (GreenDragon @ Jun 26 2003, 07:38 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 26 2003, 09:27 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-GreenDragon
@Jun 26 2003, 09:23 PM

that is basically what i do, i let the oil start to flow before i start to drive, and if you drive a turbocharged, and trigg, you better back me up, it is CRUCIAL to let the oil get flowing to the charged, in the winter, i let the S4 warm up to normal operating conditions, then drove it... :wub: :driving
That would make sense with a turbo charged engine. Considering you're supposed to let the turbos cool down before switching the engine off also. [/b][/quote]
depending on the turbo, and old RX7 and 300zx you should let cool down a bit before turning off, but the new WRX has that huge functional hood scoop (intercooler) and you don't have to let it cool down before turningt he engine off

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
There's a guy who live in my development with a WRX STI. Very nice. Boost controler, Tanabe Exhaust (I think) huge exhaust (but turbo's, from what I've heard, should have a 3 inch exhasut because of the nature of the exhaust gas pulses), and he's got a larger intercooler. Man that thing goes!

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Originally posted by GreenDragon@Jun 27 2003, 08:51 AM
There's a guy who live in my development with a WRX STI. Very nice. Boost controler, Tanabe Exhaust (I think) huge exhaust (but turbo's, from what I've heard, should have a 3 inch exhasut because of the nature of the exhaust gas pulses), and he's got a larger intercooler. Man that thing goes!
i haven't seen one yet. they didn't even have them at the dealer. you should get a ride in them. i hear they fixed a lot of the turbo lag, plus it's got 14.5 psi :wub:

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Originally posted by donutchow+Jun 27 2003, 10:53 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (donutchow @ Jun 27 2003, 10:53 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-GreenDragon@Jun 27 2003, 08:51 AM
i haven't seen one yet. they didn't even have them at the dealer. you should get a ride in them. i hear they fixed a lot of the turbo lag, plus it's got 14.5 psi :wub: [/b][/quote]
Here's teh deal though - He's had it for a while. At least 6 months. I've seen two. His is black and a saw a blue one in a parking lot. I talked to him about it a while a go he's really dialed up the boost on that f'er. He works odd hours so were are rarely home at the same time, so no ride :cry

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
i always let the oil get around the engine at least before driving off, and if im going to go up the main road at high speeds then i will let the engine warm up first......

1 - 20 of 20 Posts