BMW Werkz banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was waxing my car the other day, trying to be as careful as possible not to get wax on the black plastic trim on the doors and bumpers.

But I did anyway. I use Meguiars Gold. Now there are some spots where the wax dried into the black trim. Any ideas on what I can use to take it off?

Piece (yeah that kind)
Joe

·
Registered
15 Posts
try some adhesive remover or alcohol based window cleaner. then buy some aerospace303 or vinylex and put it on all of your plastic trim. armor all also works on trim.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info and welcome to the site

Piece (yeah that kind)
Joe

·
Registered
497 Posts
If that doesn't work, I've heard using a pencil eraser can remove the wax residue. Mould dressing is only temporary; once it dries off the streaks will re-appear

·
Registered
263 Posts
I tried the pencil eraser trick, didn't seem to work for me. Window cleaners also didn't work. I finally said fuck it and just dabbed on some Meguiar's batural shine vinyl and rubber protectant. For whatever reason, this stuff seemed to disolve the wax with no problem.

good luck

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I had the same problem...nasty dried wax on my black trim.

I actually took on a more HANDS-ON approach and RUBBED it with my thumb and some fingers. It worked, though i did get a blister on my thumb....but fuck it...it worked.

when your finger gets hot ...stop rubbing for a few secs...cuz you will burn your skin.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Well it is a few days later and the wax that appeared to have been removed is now visible again. I am going to try using straight up rubbing alcohol to see if that will disolve it. After all this is just wax - I wonder if using a blow dryer to melt it so I could just wipe it away would work...

more later...

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
That's the second time you mention pnut butter...maybe it DOES WORK!!?!?!?!

but yeah...rub it with you fingers...it;s tough but it works.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have yet to try peanut butter, but today I tried a citrus degreaser. It seems to work just slightly. I am going to get some industrial strength degreaser tommorrow... This shit is starting to piss me off...

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Try gel-gloss from home depot.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Well, I tried peanut oil today. Rubbed it in good and let it sit for about 10 minutes. Then I washed it away when I washed the car. Seems to have taken care of the wax - will check tommorrow...

=drunk

·
Registered
43 Posts
I use a cigarette lighter. I've also heard of guys using those small handheld propane torches. Just for a second. A sweep across will remove it all or cause it to become viscous enough to be wiped off.

·
ex owner/admin
10,839 Posts
ive heard that trick too. but man if i use my torch id burn the hell outta my.............well everything lol..

yeah peanut butter works for me , best trick in the book. and cavilier is right if you can buy the oil itself it works the same with less mess. (but its expensive)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey thanks everybody. I have got so many things to try now I think that I might just start smearing wax all over my trim.

Peanut butter, who would have thunk it? Can't you use peanut butter to get gum out of kids' hair? Or adults' hair for that matter.

Piece, (yeah that kind)
Joe

1 - 20 of 21 Posts