BMW Werkz banner

Disabling/bypassing The Ews

122K views 37 replies 16 participants last post by  valenzuela.maclester 
#1 ·
I need some help, I have a 95ti that I just did a M44 engine conversion in and I want to bypass or disable the EWS to get it running. I rather not have to drag it to the dealer to get the EWS "aligned" until after I get it going and work the bugs out.
Thanks for any help.

#28 ·
Will this work to bypass the key antenna?

Hi

I have a 96 328is, the tumbler has been locked shut for awhile I have been putting the key in the tumbler then starting it using a screwdriver in switch part I separated from the tumbler, thing is now I lost my only key, can I bypass the antenna thing with this or do I need to order a key? If I can use this solution if so, can someone explain where and what wire I cut?

Thanks in Advance
Joe

#29 ·
BMW 318i 1996

Hi i have a problem ive totalled lost my car keys and im trying to find a cheaper way of getting my car started without having to replace keys?? Is there a way that the EWS System can be bypassed and a push button start to replace having to get a new set of keys????Any ideas

#30 · (Edited)
Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but where do i find this green wire exactly? i have a 2001 525i e39 and i do not know if it is my key that won't let the car crank, the EWS 3, A bad sensor, ect.
All that i know is my battery is good as is my starter and i have the gray "valet" key i think they call it with only the transponder w/o batteries or remote buttons. I've had the car a couple weeks.

Guy i bought the car from said it was prolly just a battery and now I'm kinda stuck with a family with a junker unreliable car and now this thing that won't start. i really don't have the money to be spending on these very pricy keys and what really worries me is that the key might not even be the culprit, but like i said i feel I've narrowed i down enough to where i feel this must be it!

I've heard from a few people that they've had this issue and it didn't crank for other issues as well, not related to the key. such as a bad oil sensor.
if this truly is a fix for getting past the GD EWS you wouldn't know how much you'd be helping myself and my wife out!!
one other thing while i am here, i hear from a couple folks that the key that i have the gray valet key (BMW calls it the door and ignition hey) is limited to how much you can use it. limited rev's, can only use it a couple times, etc. this is my first bemmer and i wanna make sure i know as much about it as possible and have everything that i need that i can get, cause from what I've read from these forum sights is that once you screw it up its a HUGE nightmare!

I'm a struggling working man 12 hr days and i got really really lucky with getting this car for my family (its in pristine condition) and basically i just want to get this thing where i can feel comfortable letting my wide take it with the kiddos even if shes driving 3 hours down south to go see her mother....as i won't be going hehe. so in advance i thank you guys very very much for your threads and if you can after all help me to get this key to work man o man you'd be a hero! I'm a newby to these dang ol computer cars so work with me buddy if you wouldn't mind. I'm excited!!

btw i hope my paragraphs here weren't too scrambled or i suppose bunched up. its been a long time since I've composed something this long on the computer, I'm not very computer savvy these days. i didn't expect to write so much either, i think I
'm just excited that after hours and hours of failed attempts at starting this damn thing might actually have a solution, crossing my fingers and my toes!

#31 ·
i don't think my reply to this posted. I'm new so idk if what i am doing is correct even though it seems pretty cut and dry. how do i view this diagram? my 01 525i will not crank and I've tried SOOO many things! i believe its my key but i do not really have the money to spend on maybes. if this really will bypass my EWS 3 system i would be the happiest man alive, my wife would be pretty stoked too. were both in love with the car, even without ever driving it hehe.

#32 ·
I'm glad this thread is still going.

I have the opportunity to buy a 1997 Z3 cheap because the owner lost the keys.
I did this recently with my son's 1994 E36, that was no problem because his car doesn't have a paired transponder.

So have I got this right? Just to get the car running and home I can cut the green wire to the EWS then disassemble the ignition bracket to disable the steering lock and to allow access to the ignition switch.
That should get it going, right?

Then later I can get a key cut and the transponder paired or buy a matching key and lock and have that transponder paired.