BMW Werkz banner

Disabling/bypassing The Ews

122K views 37 replies 16 participants last post by  valenzuela.maclester 
#1 ·
I need some help, I have a 95ti that I just did a M44 engine conversion in and I want to bypass or disable the EWS to get it running. I rather not have to drag it to the dealer to get the EWS "aligned" until after I get it going and work the bugs out.
Thanks for any help.

#7 ·
As far as I know. When I added software to my car, I had to disable EWS or my car wouldn't start, Active Autowerke was nice enough to include a diagram on disabling my EWS so that it would.

Did you start a thread on this, if so, how did I miss it? I always try to answer your posts.

#8 ·
man that thread was 3 weeks ago now... been dealing with this problem since. I had to get a whole new EWS system with all the keys for 250 bucks and then an ignition tumbler made to fit the new keys because BMW is retarded and cut the original keys incorrectly.

so my symptom was my car would click and no spark or anything. finally narrowed it down to the EWS system not having any output from the EWS module. So you're saying FOR SURE that by cutting that greenwire, that would have bypassed getting a new EWS system? This is very important to me now :p

sorry for hijacking this thread btw

#10 ·
well now, hang on. It wouldn't even crank? My car would crank but not turn over.

I've been spending a lot of time at the dyno lately, and have tried out several chips during these trips (including my oem chip- had to try a few things). Point is, when I went back to my oem chip, I had to reactivate my EWS system. Then when I would go back to the AA chip, I had to disconnect it again. I forgot to disconnect it, got in my car and the car would crank, but not turn over. Discconnected the green wire, and the car started fine.

So if you're car just clicked, and wouldn't even crank, it could be something else. But the way I understand it (conversations with Active, and several posts on Bimmerforums), is that cutting the green #7 lead is what disables EWS.

#13 ·
Honestly, it sounds like more is at play than EWS. I'm no expert, but with your symptoms I would have thought it was your starter. But then you say it would crank with the remote. That's the problem with all your crap (mine too) there are so many variables, you don't know where to start. Tranny swap, OBDII-OBDI conversion, aftermarket alarm with starter kill; it's like you donn't know where to start.

So if your car would turn over, but only with your alarm's remote (I'm guessing you have remote start, right?), then I guess it isn't your starter.

If I'm still right thus far (tell me where I didn't read something right), then I would try to disable your alarm and see what happens. Most decent aftermarket alarms have a starter kill circuit, and that's what this sounds like.

Now if you disable your alarm (starter kill is off) and your car would then crank but not turn over (with the key), then I would say it's the EWS system. Then, my advice above would be of help.

Sound right?

#14 ·
I don't have a remote starter, probably wrong use of words. We had a device that we HOOKED to the starter and the battery and then pushed a button and it would crank.

We did disable the alarm from what I remember and still nothing. So we'll see. My car should be working today and if it's not, then I'm lost.

#15 ·
So yeah dude, sounds like it may have been EWS afterall. If you could disable your alarm, and it would crank but not turn over, then I guess EWS is what was preventing your car from starting. But could you use your key to get it to turn over, or just that remote connection thingy?

Oh well, hope your car works today. If not lemme know, I'll fix it :p

#17 ·
easiest solution...CALL up turner motorsports and have them burn you a custom chip...thats what i did for my motor swap

edit: didnt really read into detail in the thread...just glanced thru and saw something about a motor swap and ews

#18 ·
Originally posted by Fruityone@Feb 21 2005, 02:43 PM
easiest solution...CALL up turner motorsports and have them burn you a custom chip...thats what i did for my motor swap
[snapback]296435[/snapback]​
mmmm, that's weird. I contacted Turner not too long ago with such a request and they wouldn't help me. I told them what I had, and wanted custom software burnt, and they said they had nothing available.

No matter, I went to Active Autowerke, and they have been very helpful. Their software designer is relentless with every detail, and I think I'm about to have what I want.

Just seems wierd that they would burn software for you fruity, but wouldn't for me...

#19 ·
Jllphan...thanks for the info, I will give it a try tomorrow.

Jrhaile...the 95 came with an M42 (odb1) and the M44 was from a 98 (odb2) the M44 would not "plug" into the 95 harness. I used the engine harness and ecu from the 98 and basically turned the car into an odb2 car. I would have rather stayed with the odb1 setup but the M44 has more sensors than a M42 and I think I took the easiest route....I hope! :wrench

#20 ·
well the easiest route you did not take :p

I had a similiar swap. ODB2 engine with ODB1 wiring harness. I basically stripped down the block all the way, used all parts pretty much from the 95 engine (odb1) and I was golden. EWS and all wiring was in place. Had to make a few mods to the odb2 engine, but nothing major or really hard.

So Joey, you should IM me or PM me. I have something very interesting about my car to share with you. I did get it back and it's fine. But I think this whole mess could have been avoided.

#21 ·
I am curious to what mods you had to do? Obviously the intake is the biggest difference...seeing that the M44 has 3 throttle position sensors and runs the fuel press regulator down on the frame as opposed to on the rail. If I run into problems after its running, I could go back to odb1 seeing that I have the old engine and harness laying here...as long as it it do-able. :wink

#26 ·
hey jrhalie please post what you found out or PM me as I have been encountering similar none start issues. I've changed everything from starter to starter relay to wires, to more relays only to find out it was the EWS as well. I will be clipping that wire but if you have any insight it would be very much appreciated. Thanks... and I feel your pain

cheers