BMW Werkz banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after an awful and expensive year in an e53, I've reverted to type and to the e39 again. I bought from a dealer last week, a 2003 525d ES SE. I did all the requisite checks but have now noticed that after starting the car and driving for a couple of minutes, for a further 10 mins, I get a smell of diesel in the cabin. Clearly I'll be calling the dealer in the morning but can anyone give me a heads up on what might be causing it please? There is no loss of power, the average mileage seems fine (I reset it when I bought it). The only thing I've noticed having had a 2000 530d before, was that this seems a little louder but I put that down to the more sporty nature of the ES SE, again that might be naive. Any help would be great, thanks very much, Dave

·
Help from over the pond
3,239 Posts
I would say check all the connections to the injectors and the HP pump (high pressure), if you smell diesel you have a leak somewhere.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
would this still cause the smell to disappear after 10 mins or so or is it more likely because i'm then travelling faster, there's more air blowing around and thus disguising the issue?

·
Help from over the pond
3,239 Posts
It sounds to me as if its either a leak or it could be overfueling(which sounds now to be the case) on start up, its a 2003 model, if it was a 1973 model I would say normal, but this is not, if your not mechanically minded I would take it to a garage.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks mate. It's going into the garage now and the advice you gave, supplied me with a modicum of knowledge that allowed me to bat away the objection from the dealer, so thanks again. Dave

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
resolution is as follows:

turned out to be a leak from the front exhaust at the ball joint which means a new Cat is required at almost £550 fitted. Fortunately, the cost is being covered by the dealer which is good news!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts