BMW Werkz banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys did my 1992 318i came with those light?, I am from australia btw, i want to order a set of angel eyes for my car and i dont know if i need to purchase these euro lights that they require, my lights uses H1 bulbs thats all i know. please help auction ends in 28 hours...

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
nope, ellipsoids is a pretty modern invention. it only comes stock on the newer e46 models. you have to buy those first and then you can get the angel eyes too

·
Registered
457 Posts
I don't get it?...I have a 94 325is what are ellipsoids etc...what must I do to make it look/have the angel eyes look?....sighing.....thanks.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
ok, ill break this down for everybody...the e36 bmw (years 92-98) had halogen lights. they had a plastic housing as well. the new e46 bmw's came out with a new thing called euro ellipsoid headlights, i believe bmw refers to them as xenon lights. when you turn them on they auto-adjust themselves to the right hight. they are also wayyy brighter and last longer than halogen lights. they also have a glas housing around the light itself. you dont have to have ellipsoids to use angel eyes, but its way easier to fit and works wayyy better with them.

·
Registered
457 Posts
thats why they call you the///Man! thanks. the ones you shown are they still plastic housing or glass and where/how much to acquires theses...I dont really trust ebay etc....

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
the exterior part is hard plastic so it wont break easily, but the part on the inside in front of the actual light is glass. those are umnitza lights. they are one of only 3 companies thats approved by bmw. you can get them at a great price from the forum sponsor right now in the store section. the group buy price from europersona is $390 Shipped for the ellipsoids. the group buy for the dde(angel eyes) is 225 shipped. heres the link to the group buy

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
the man is wrong.

You do have ellispoids if your asembly uses h1.

While what he said about the e36 is true for North American models, ellipsoids are not newly invented nor were they not used on the e36. In fact, even euro e30s have ellipsoids. The european models had to have some way of producing more light so it would be safe to drive on the autobahn at high speeds. With halogen reflectors, the light distance is not high enough. The projectors focus the light and send more light forward but detract from ouput from the sides. I do not know why the DOT didn't allow the use of ellipsoids in earleir models, but i would speculate it would have something to do with loss of side illumination.

Xenon lights also use projectors for the same reason. It should also be noted that ellipsoids are not HID, but they are in the picture the man posted. An HID bulb in a true reflector setup would be blinding, hence why the e46 has projectors. HID can be added to ellipsoids by purchasing D2R bulbs and a ballast.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
goodjob at breakin it down guys :thumbs

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for all teh reply guys. So should i get the euro lights before getting the angel eyes? or should i just save my money and just buy the rings?? i tried to search teh net to see if there is any info about which models came with the euro lights but no luck yet....

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
no, you dont have to. you already have them. The man gave you info on NA spec.

Austraila isn't near North America last time I checked, so you are good to go.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I was just about to say what el presidente stated. Also the euro ellipsoids are not referred to as xenons. Xenon, like halogen, is a gas that is inside of the bulb, xenon burns brighter and that is why they produce more light. The ellipsoid just projects the light.

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
Originally posted by Andrewsd1985@Dec 7 2003, 11:24 AM
I was just about to say what el presidente stated. Also the euro ellipsoids are not referred to as xenons. Xenon, like halogen, is a gas that is inside of the bulb, xenon burns brighter and that is why they produce more light. The ellipsoid just projects the light.
and also the plastic ones do not open unlike the ellipsoid

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OooOOooO i see thanks alot guys i ordered the DDE 4 angel eyes will be here in 5 working days, just got an amp and sub woofer installed today. took me forever to hide all the wires lucky my battery is at the back of the car. Alpine gear sounds awesome. I got a MRDM300 and Alpine type R swr1241D if anyone was curious highly recommend them.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Originally posted by El Presidente@Dec 6 2003, 05:41 PM
the man is wrong.

You do have ellispoids if your asembly uses h1.

While what he said about the e36 is true for North American models, ellipsoids are not newly invented nor were they not used on the e36. In fact, even euro e30s have ellipsoids. The european models had to have some way of producing more light so it would be safe to drive on the autobahn at high speeds. With halogen reflectors, the light distance is not high enough. The projectors focus the light and send more light forward but detract from ouput from the sides. I do not know why the DOT didn't allow the use of ellipsoids in earleir models, but i would speculate it would have something to do with loss of side illumination.

Xenon lights also use projectors for the same reason. It should also be noted that ellipsoids are not HID, but they are in the picture the man posted. An HID bulb in a true reflector setup would be blinding, hence why the e46 has projectors. HID can be added to ellipsoids by purchasing D2R bulbs and a ballast.
With D2S or D2R don't forget the South African engineer’s best friend (Dremel) :rock

1 - 20 of 30 Posts